Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's going to be a year for me soon. Phew! I have to admit, it was kind of scary at first but I would never consider feeding them cooked meat again. They never liked it as much. So how long have you guys been feeding raw meat? I don't think I've ever heard someone say "My cat was fed raw all his/her life and he lived till he was 20 years old!." I would really like to hear actual testimonials but I don't think there's any on the internet which is again, scary for me. There's a lot of testimonials like "my cat has a shinier coat, sparkling teeth, etc" but most of them are from people who have been only feeding for a few years. I wanna know how long they lived and stuff. I don't know. I wish raw feeding was more mainstream, I understand that the concept just came about a few years ago so I won't be getting any examples anytime soon :(

·
Banned
952 Posts
I... I wish raw feeding was more mainstream, I understand that the concept just came about a few years ago...
Not really. Cats were "raw fed" from the time they were domesticated until commercial products really took off in the early to mid-1900s, and there are many non-U.S. countries that continued to raw-feed their cats in spite of the convenience of commercial products.

Check out the yahoo rawcat forum - there are quite a few members who've been naturally feeding their cats for decades.

I've only been doing it for a couple of years, as it wasn't until I lost Ollie in the 2007 pet food poisoning that I really began digging deep into feline nutrition.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've been feeding raw for a whole year...the year mark was from what I remember August 7. I fed partly raw for a few months before switching to only raw.

I know that a lot of the people on the facebook raw feeding group have been feeding raw for more than 30 years. The facebook group is another part of the yahoo groups.

·
Registered
709 Posts
We've been raw for just over 2 years now! :) We have 2 kittens who have been raw since they got here at 11-12 weeks (the oldest is now over a year and the younger is still only 13weeks) and the rest started raw a little later in life (2 cats at 2yrs, 1 cat at 13yrs, 1 dog at 4yrs and 1 dog at 8mths).

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
18 months now. :)

As others have said, raw feeding is hardly "new"--the pet food companies would certainly like you to think so, LOL, but dogs and cats were eating raw meat (either caught themselves or fed by their owners) for MILLENIA before the pet food cos decided to make some money out of what used to be tossed away by the various industries.

·
Registered
244 Posts
How about let us describe our raw feeding cats' active levels compared to age.

Mine are just 1 years old, so they are still very active. I noticed that they are sleeping more than they were kittens (5 months). Now they do sleep more than 8 hours out of the 14 or more hours I am awake. They chase each other, sometimes I think they run like horses.

How about your kitties?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fed whole prey for years, since packaged pet food seemed like a luxury item.

Now I'm in a completely different situation, in a new place, and feeding "frankenprey" for the first time, just since Saturday. It's a bizarre challenge -- it's going to take some time for me to figure out how to source enough variety.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Nah, I'll just stick to the stuff she 1) likes and 2) gives her everything she needs.

The local supermarket is strangely devoid of whole bunnies anyway.

·
Registered
751 Posts
How about let us describe our raw feeding cats' active levels compared to age.

Mine are just 1 years old, so they are still very active. I noticed that they are sleeping more than they were kittens (5 months). Now they do sleep more than 8 hours out of the 14 or more hours I am awake. They chase each other, sometimes I think they run like horses.

How about your kitties?
Rajah is fifteen and when I got him he looked and very much acted his age. He was very underwieght then at 7.5 lbs - now he wieghs 13ish lbs. Before he also had very little energy; walking a tiny ways and then laying down. Now he goes on 1-2 mile walks with me every night and he walks very fast!

All the rest of the farm cats have about a 1 second attention span. They can be happily resting on my lap and then jump up and run around the strawmow a few times...then come back and sit with me for another minute and repeat the whole routine again. Before they weren't very active and now most of the time it sounds like there is a herd of elephants running around up there:jump

1 - 15 of 15 Posts