Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Sienna, it seems to be HOURS. She doesn't seem to just stay at her bowl and eat until she's finished the portion. She eats (or licks) a bit, then wanders away and returns a while later. And a while later. And so on. Sometimes it seems to take her hours. Should I be doing something differently to encourage her to eat it in a shorter period of time? Or is it okay for her to graze on it.? It is canned food.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I think if you are at home most of the day, it shouldn't be a big issue. I am away for 9 hours a day and I cannot leave canned food out for that long. Besides, my Meatball will for sure steal Metoo's food.

So when I give them food, they have to finish it at once (usually they finish in 5 minutes). Once they walk away I will take the dishes, even if there are left overs. When I only had Meatball before, she used to be like Sienna - eating a bit and then go play, then come back later. But now she knows if she doesn't fill up her stomach now, she has to wait for 9 hours.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
I leave their canned food out.

I think Harli eats most of hers at one sitting but Lily is a grazer. I used to feed them 1/2 of a 3 oz can in the morning, then take it away before I went to work & leave out dry; now I'm feeding them the 5.5 oz can in the am & just leave it.(They seem to eat more in the day than in the evening) I figure, if it gets bad they won't eat it. I give them another 5.5 oz. can when I get home and throw out what they haven't eaten before I go to bed.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gone usually 9-10 hours a day (except weekends and I usually get home early on Fridays). Some days I've come home after work and she hadn't finished or eaten a good bit of her breakfast that I left for her. I just wish she would eat better and more quickly. She seems to eat better at supper (probably because she ate so poorly that morning!), but it still takes her all evening to eat. Maybe she isn't that excited about her food. Right now it is more pate' than chunks. I just got in some new cat food, but a good bit of it is pate as well since I can order large cans of it. It's frustrating as I can't afford really to spend 1.50 for a 3 oz can just so she can have something that is flaked or chunked. Rotten, rotten girl.

If someone has any strategies on getting her to eat more consistently, I'd love to hear them!

· Registered
505 Posts
During the warm weather (above zero when he is not in the garage overnight) Midnight, the wild cat, shows up at about 0400. He eats his dry food with a scoop of wet food for a bit and then heads out into the woods again. He returns about three hours later and eats some more of what remained, and heads out again. He returns again about noon for some more (fresh dry food, and some snacks), has a snack (cheese and treats) at about 4PM, and then heads out for the night.

· Registered
388 Posts
Milky takes between 5-10mins for his meals. He eats more during the night, which from what I've read above, seems to be the norm for many cats. I'm away from home for work for around 11 hours a day but leave out a bit of dry for him to nibble on while I'm away, but when I get home he usually has only grazed on it!

· Registered
1,405 Posts
my seniors seem to spend a lot of time picking at their food and go back repeatedly seeming to eat nothing, but always have full bellies when they hop up on my lap. So I leave out canned during the day, and sometimes a high quality grain free dry when I know they are not getting raw that night. Gypsy on the other hand seems to grab a bite and run, yet she probably needs to go on a diet... she is getting a bit pudgy.. I mean Plushie.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I used to put the girls' food down and leave, but I discovered that Cleo was finishing Cali's food. Now, I separate the girls and put the food down while I'm getting ready for work. I give them food they love for breakfast so they eat it all. When I get home, they get a different flavor and what they don't eat by a certain time, I pick up and they get it as part of their next meal. Cleo actually lost a pound because of their new routine, which she needed to lose.

When I had one cat, I put the (canned) food down and forgot about it. Cinderella was a grazer, too. I see nothing wrong with letting Sienna eat at her leisure.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
For us it depends on what is being fed and the particular cat. For example, when they are eating raw patties, those go in less than 5 seconds. Literally, you blink, and it's over.

However, when they are chewing through bone, Egypt sometimes takes between 5-15 minutes depending on density and the other cats between 2-5 minutes. I put the bowls down and if they don't finish it, I take it up and put it away or discard it, but this is also because I have 4 cats and feed raw. The cats must also be separated or the most gluttonous ones would steal all the food.

For one cat, without a weight problem, I don't see an issue with just letting her finish when she pleases, either.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Jack is fast. He finishes either wet or raw in about 5 mins. Miu takes a bit longer not cuz she's slow but she likes look around every now and then to make sure no one's after her food. She takes about 7-10 mins.

· Registered
8,949 Posts
When it was just Mow and I his food was left out for him to graze (canned). It was always gone by the time I got home from work.

Book eats his as fast as felinely possible and moves onto MowMows (who just stares in shocked amazement while Book gobbles down his food).

Now I lock them up and they get 10-20 minutes to finish or however long it takes me to shower and let them out.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Currently, she never seems to SERIOUSLY eat. She will initially follow me in to where I place her food and then I think she basically licks it for a few minutes and then walks out. She'll usually go back in 2 or 3 times over the next hour and do the same thing. At that point, she still usually seems to have a good bit of food left (well over half, if not most of it still left). Occasionally after feeding in the evenings I'll go back in and scrape it out from the corners so it's more centered in her dish and she seems to go back and eat a bit more. Usually in the morning when I go get her bowl the food is pretty much gone (some days it may not be). Her morning feeding seems to be the one that she eats the least of.

I sometimes wonder if she would eat better if I took it up after a certain period of time. It's almost like she's treating it the same as when cats are fed dry .. they just graze on it off and on all day (or mine in the past always did).

· Registered
120 Posts
One of our cats is a grazer and it takes him several hours to eat hsi meal. The other one gobbles it down within minutes. I feed them in separate places or the gobbler would eat all of the other cats food.

But I have to say since I started the cats on Weruva canned even the grazer is clearing his plate almost all of the time. Once in a while he will leave some for later but the majority of time it is now gone within 10 minutes. If I give him any other food he will go right back to grazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.