Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 10-month old cat (dewormed and vaccinated) to the vet a week ago because he'd had really smelly diarrhea for several days that sometimes contained blood. The vet checked him out and said that he appeared to be really healthy, so she took a rectal swab and looked at it. She said he had a pretty significant imbalance of bacteria, so she prescribed metronidazole twice a day for two weeks, along with a packet of FortiFlora once a day for a month. Today marks one week into treatment and my kitty still has diarrhea. The consistency has changed a little bit (it was gooier before), there appears to be no blood, and the awful smell is gone, but he still has a bout of diarrhea a couple of times a day. Given the treatment plan, how long should it typically take to see the diarrhea clear up?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I would expect diarrhea should be cleared up before another week is finished. You could give him 3/4 tsp. of canned pure pumpkin puree (not pie filling that has sugar in it) mixed with his meal. Pumpkin helps to both firm up diarrhea and relieve constipation.
Pumpkin for a Cat with Diarrhea | eHow.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts