Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just contemplating this since there is a weekend coming up in about a month when I will be traveling to my parent's house. I don't know what to do about the cats though, because it is a 5 hour drive each way. I can either take them with me, leave them at my apartment by themselves or maybe find a pet sitter to come check on them.
I know Justin does not care for the drive, although he is usually okay after the first 30 minutes or so. Stormy has gotten used to car trips.
I used to have a friend come check on them, but he and I don't talk so much anymore and I hate to ask him to do it for me. Plus he won't accept any sort of payment or gift for doing it, so I would feel bad about it.
I would have to leave them over 48 hours, and I'm sure I could get an automatic feeder, but still no one would be there to make sure they are okay. I'm sure they would be fine, but I just worry. At least I know that they can keep each other company. I have left them one night by themselves and I've left Stormy before but I don't remember for how long. I always just put out lots of food.
So how long can you (or should you) leave cats by themselves? And has anyone here hired a pet sitter? Are there any questions I should be asking? And although I know this will vary, what is the general cost?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've left mine alone as long as 5days, with someone stopping in mid-week for fresh water and food, I had 3 at the time. Just get ready for the cold shoulder when you get back!! My oldest wouldn't even look at me for a week after that. I think in the long run, staying at home is much less stressful on the animals than any alternative, I don't feel it causes any harm other than a little bit of 'cattitude'. 8)

·
Registered
654 Posts
They should be fine as long as you leave plenty food & Water for them maybe have a friend drop in to clean the litter tray and top up their food and water.

·
Registered
88 Posts
we're in the same boat in terms of friends that could stop over. I asked at work and got a recommendation of a pet sitter. There's a website where you can check for them in your area--petsit.com ? or petsitter.com ?I 'm not sure, you better google it.

Anyway where we live this woman charges $10/visit and I might have her come twice a day to check on Peanut while we're gone for 5 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts