Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure WHAT this says about me...but whatever it is, I'm hoping that I'm not the only one. Over the years of owning cats, my "gross-out" factor has sunken to unbelievable lows. I mean, I used to be very fastidious. Now...definately not so much. I keep my house pretty clean and I'm proud to say, that many people are surprised when they hear how many cats I have (they say it doesn't SMELL like that many cats).

That's why I'm surprised to find how low my standards have sunk. I've given up trying to sleep in a litter free bed. Kitty's bed is on my bed...she traipses back and forth across my comforter all day long. I change my sheets and I'm lucky to find that they are still clean an hour later. They get litter on them so quickly! It doesn't even bother me anymore. I just try to swipe out any litter that I can before I crawl in.

The other night, Kitty threw up. In my bed. On my pillow. While I was sleeping on it. It was nice. It was like...3:00am! I took off the pillow case, checked the pillow for dampness, wiped off the sheets with a damp rag and moved over to the dry side of the bed and went back to sleep.

Is that the most disgusting thing you've ever heard? Am I alone at this level of non-cleanliness? I think I'd be better if Kitty didn't throw up all the time (her giant cyst makes her vomit on a regular/weekly basis). Just curious about others...

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Well, maybe not quite, but I can relate. I did have one incident where I found vomit on the comforter...opposite of the bed that I sleep on at the foot of the bed. It was late, it hadn't seeped through, so I wiped it off and used a wet rag on the spot and went to bed. I checked it the next day and couldn't find the spot, so the comforter didn't get washed until it was convenient (like a week later).

And a friend (who has 7 cats) and I had a conversation just last night about how it's so much easier to clean up puke off carpets if it's dried. She lays paper towels over it to remind her not to step on it, I don't even do that...Fortunately I don't have much carpet in my house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kittys Mom said:
I'm not sure WHAT this says about me...but whatever it is, I'm hoping that I'm not the only one. Over the years of owning cats, my "gross-out" factor has sunken to unbelievable lows. I mean, I used to be very fastidious. Now...definately not so much. I keep my house pretty clean and I'm proud to say, that many people are surprised when they hear how many cats I have (they say it doesn't SMELL like that many cats).

That's why I'm surprised to find how low my standards have sunk. I've given up trying to sleep in a litter free bed. Kitty's bed is on my bed...she traipses back and forth across my comforter all day long. I change my sheets and I'm lucky to find that they are still clean an hour later. They get litter on them so quickly! It doesn't even bother me anymore. I just try to swipe out any litter that I can before I crawl in.

The other night, Kitty threw up. In my bed. On my pillow. While I was sleeping on it. It was nice. It was like...3:00am! I took off the pillow case, checked the pillow for dampness, wiped off the sheets with a damp rag and moved over to the dry side of the bed and went back to sleep.

Is that the most disgusting thing you've ever heard? Am I alone at this level of non-cleanliness? I think I'd be better if Kitty didn't throw up all the time (her giant cyst makes her vomit on a regular/weekly basis). Just curious about others...
At least you cleaned up the mess- you could have ignored it until morning. I don't think you're disgusting. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh, I think I'm right there with ya... though I have never had litter in my bed. But the kitty hairballs they occasionally leave on the carpets for me don't phase me at all. Oh, the things we put up with for our children!!!! :roll:

Andi

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Consider this practice for having human kids.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
doodlebug said:
And a friend (who has 7 cats) and I had a conversation just last night about how it's so much easier to clean up puke off carpets if it's dried. She lays paper towels over it to remind her not to step on it, I don't even do that...Fortunately I don't have much carpet in my house.
I do the same thing when the puke is in the main part of the house.

My cats often puke in the basement. Nobody goes down there when my kids are away at college, so I just wait until the weekend before they come home and do it all at once. :oops:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've been that way a long time. You just can't wash your bedding every time a piece of litter falls on it, and you can't panic every time there's a vomit. Just brush off bedding, and save extreme vomit detail for a time when you're NOT sleeping!

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have to admit i do the "paper towel covers the vomit until morning thing". Daizy has issues with hairballs and sometimes eating too fast and then likes to puke it up. Of course its always on the carpet in my bedroom and at about 3am. Typical cat :roll: Oh well I wouldn't change anything about them!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I'm with you too. I'm a very clean and neat person, totally non-clutter, and it's amazing how my standards have changed since having a cat. Up on the kitchen counter? Oh well, nothing is really being harmed. Hanging out on the dining room table? Whatever, it's just fur. Having a cat lick me? How nice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
doodlebug said:
Totally agree. dried is much easier. I have done the paper towl thing before and even with the poo :oops:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I did the paper towel thing one time when Nito threw up in the basement. It was on cold cement floor and I forgot about it. The paper towel ended up kitty-puke-glued to the floor. Gross! :dis

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Like many long-haired cats, Misty sometimes has problems with, er, cling-ons. So sometimes I find a dry piece of cat poop in the middle of the floor.

I admit, I generally just grab a paper towel and pick it up without even cleaning the spot afterward. Even when it's on the bed instead of the floor. :oops: I mean, it was dry so there's no obvious residue, right? And really, there are probably cat poop germs all over the apartment anyway, between the walks-in-their-toilet thing and the licks-self-in-lieu-of-toilet-paper thing.

Mom of 4 said:
Consider this practice for having human kids.
I admit (as someone who has no human kids myself) that I've often thought that one thing that parents and pet owners have in common is that suddenly, the disgusting bodily fluids of another living being become a topic of great personal interest and even conversation.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My sister-in-law's cat likes to chew on her long hair, and since her hair is longer than the typical length of cat poop sometimes the hairs don't make it all the way out of the cat at one time. Sometimes she'll see the cat running around with a poop ball bouncing behind her, stuck to a hair that's hanging out of her butt!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
WhiteKitties said:
My sister-in-law's cat likes to chew on her long hair, and since her hair is longer than the typical length of cat poop sometimes the hairs don't make it all the way out of the cat at one time. Sometimes she'll see the cat running around with a poop ball bouncing behind her, stuck to a hair that's hanging out of her butt!
Oh, dear. I have butt-length hair and I often find two bits of cat poop fastened together by one of my hairs in the litter box. (They don't need to chew my hair, I shed bits of it all over the house.) But I've never seen the cats still fastened to the poop by my hair... and I hope I never do!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
October said:
I'm with you too. I'm a very clean and neat person, totally non-clutter, and it's amazing how my standards have changed since having a cat. Up on the kitchen counter? Oh well, nothing is really being harmed. Hanging out on the dining room table? Whatever, it's just fur. Having a cat lick me? How nice.
Just like me! LOL Mango has had "bad butt" on my bed at 3am and I just go get a towel, lay it over the anal sac secretion 8O :oops: :mrgreen: and wash sheets the next day. How gross! Oh well.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts