Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried reading past threads to make sure I'm not repeating questions. Please forgive me if I am.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how many calories my cats need. With four, it's hard to figure out how much of the dry kibble each kitty is eating to make sure they are getting enough wet food. I would like to feed an all wet diet but want to figure out nutrient needs before hand. Is there some chart I don't know about? I've seen different info online, but what I've found has all been on a website which is selling a brand of food. I don't want any bias. Anyone know or know of any websites?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Counting calories as a basis for feeding cats is not very effective and can be dangerous. There is too much individual variation among cats. If your cat has a higher metabolism than normal, and you feed too little, you risk creating liver disease. If too much, you create obesity and possibly diabetes and other health problems.

My preference is to feed mostly or all canned food (see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood and other articles in our free library to find out why!), and give them as much as they will eat in about an hour, twice a day. Most cats will self-regulate pretty well with this kind of schedule.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. What about my kittens? They are three months old. I've read that you should allow them to eat as much as they want, but that you should feed them more than twice a day. I think it was four times and then down to three after 6 months. If I completely stop free feeding the dry kibble, will they learn to regulate their appetites to feeding time? I don't want them to be hungry during the day or in-between feedings. I suppose that is why a transition period is needed.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My cats have regulated to the schedule quite well and aren't hungry in between meals. As for kittens, I would feed meals more often. I think 4 times a day, like you said, would be the perfect amount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts