Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm planning to adopt a cat. I'm a working adult living alone. Is it better to adopt one cat or two cats in my case? I've read that two cats can play & company each other when you're away from home 9 hours on the weekdays because of work. Or would one cat still be okay?

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
There's no right or wrong answer to this. My first cat loved being the only cat. Some cats don't do well with others, and they have a hard time finding a home. Having two cats is great, too, because they have each other. It depends on what you want, and other factors like your financial situation, two cats do cost more - vet visits, food, litter, etc. Whether you get one or two, they sleep most of the day while you're gone, And cats have no concept of time. It's not like you're going to come home late one day and your cat will be sitting their, tapping their watch as if to say "where have you been?" :) I can leave to run a quick errand, and when I come back, they think it's time to eat again, as if I'd been at work all day. I think adopting one cat is just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I was working I always tried to find a sibling pair. Then I knew they would get along and I wouldn't feel bad about leaving them all day. I am one that just can't get an animal and leave it without some kind of company all day. If it was alone, I would leave the TV or radio on for some kind of companionship. Just my way of thinking.

There are plenty of cats/dogs out there that do want to be the only one though, so that would be ok. Sometimes I would even call my house when we had the old time answering machines and talk to my pet a couple times a day when it was home alone,,,just one of my little quirks...lol🙃😋

1 - 3 of 3 Posts