Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am the gal that's moving to Ecuador with her cat in a few months. So far everyone has been so helpful...thank you so much!

A question....if I am feeding my cat chicken meat or other poultry meat, how many hearts would he need per day or week to get his taurine?? Can a cat get too much taurine?? He LOOOOVES the chicken hearts...eats them before the meat when placed on his plate together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Heart can be treated as regular muscle meat (breasts, thighs, etc.). So it can make up 80% of the diet (but there should be variety, don't feed JUST hearts every day). You do not NEED to feed heart to give your cat enough taurine,all muscle meat has some taurine, dark meat more than white. Hearts just have a lot, so if you are feeding a lot of white meat (like breasts) then some hearts are good. Or if he likes them feed lots. You can not give too much taurine, anything they don't need get peed out.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Yup -- muscle meat is muscle meat! I can get heart cheaply, so I feed a good bit of it. But I also feed a lot of dark meat poultry, venison, etc. No risk of taurine deficiency w/ all that! :)

So feed it as often as you want, basically. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts