Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Up until today I thought that we had enough cats, we have 2 boys who are indoor only (they're 13 and 23 months) and we have a semi-feral girl who lives outside but spends a lot of time inside (mostly at night when the boys are in bed). Today someone at work asked if I'd be interested in a kitten, a white kitten who was born on a farm but is deaf so will need an indoor only home. I hate to think of a kitten in a situation like that and I'm thinking we might be okay to take the kitten. Just a bit more info on us, there's just the two of us and the cats in the house, it's a 3 bedroom house (but the guinea pig lives in one the bedrooms). The boys sleep in their own room at night. Do you think another would be a terrible idea? I;m worried about upsetting their relationship, they're like brothers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It's too many when you can't keep up with the litter pans, vet bills and petting schedules... other then that its good to go (as long as where you live does not have regulations on pets in the home). Just take your time introducing. cats are fairly tolerent of kittens, and yours are still young.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
When I read just the title my thought was that one cat is definitely enough for me but when I read the rest of the post I changed my mind. :p I think that here that kitten would have trouble being adopted or re homed so I would absolutely take in the little tyke.

As long as you feel that you can afford food/vet bills for another cat and can keep the boxes/home clean I don't see why 3.5 cats is too many. :)

Heidi n Q has been absent for a bit but when she returns you should discuss care of a deaf kitten with her. She rescued one a bit back and has kept her.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have six inside cats ranging in age from 16 years to 1 year old. My house is
about 1100 square feet (not big!) but there seems to be enough room for all
six cats to have their own space and not feel crowded.

I would love to be able to give a home to more cats but financially six is my
limit in order to give them good vet care and quality food. I'm able to give
them all lots of attention and love so I don't think I've gone over my limit. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Feel much better now, still waiting on more info on the little deaf kitten but if he needs us we're here :)

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Well if the kitten is a special needs I would definitely make room for it. Its a challenge to find homes for the special needs companion animals. Even though most of the time the special needs animal isnt anymore trouble than a regular cat.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was shaking my head when I went from a comfortable 5 indoor/outdoor cats to 7 last December. The reason? Two of the young cats in my feral barn colony made the transition to pets. One - Junior - adored being held and petted. The other - Stripes - was skinny; too skinny, I thought, for a Northeast winter in a barn.

Now I have 8. Yes, 8. One of the wild ferals I adopted in March broke his leg somehow. Stubby is confined to a big cage in my computer room and the vet said he'll need to be restricted for another month. I've got his cage raised up in a window so he can look out and feel the breeze. A cage is a tough place for a feral. But he's playing with toys for the first time in his life and starting to interact with me.

He may use the leg again, he may not. It can't be pinned. His feral days are probably over. Like Mitts & Tess said, there's always room for the special needs cat.

That little white deaf kitten will be so lucky if he ends up being your cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts