• 7+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many cats do you think is to much? I think 4 is a good number. Me and my fiance both agreed to not go over this amount again, lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think when you hit, like 10 (depending on the size of your house), it is too much. For myself, I will probably not go over 5.... I'm at three now :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I voted for 7+, but it really varies depending on so many factors. I do know a lady who has 10 cats, but she has a huge house and lots of disposable income. Those cats are very well taken care of.
For myself I don't see going over five either. I think any more than that would get a bit chaotic! :wink:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would say two because I want two dogs as well. I want to make sure everybody gets plenty of attention; I know my love for them is forever once I get a pet ...I just need to make sure I have the time to show it to them so they know it all the time :D !

·
Registered
821 Posts
I voted for 5 or 6. I think my limit would be 4 though....just cause of the litterboxes!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think it all depends on the amount of room you have and your income. Sadly, cat collectors think they're the only people who can care for the cats they take in, even if they don't have enough money for food, vet bills, or the ability to keep the house clean. I don't think any of us fits that description, though! :)

I had four for a long time. That's my limit. However, if a kitten gets wandered on my property, I'm liable to change that number! I still want a black cat with white paws, a tuxedo cat, and another all black cat. Wanting and wishing are different from doing, though. Of course, if you're breeding purebred cats, that number goes up and down! :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the mex of 7 at one time, and I can definately say it's a handfull! And ALL those litterboxes, lol. I had a lot that was even not used. We changed them out to clean the others ;) I go(and went) through a lot of litter and food. Now that I'm down to four, it's so much easier, but at the same time not enough. I miss having attention where ever I turn. Hunter and Gadget used to wait for food, now only Oreo does. Clyde kept the kitties 'excercised'(if you know what I mean), and now Cheyennes getting FAT again. Teddy is still super affectionate, but he's chasing Angel around now since his brothers are gone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I voted for 7+, only because(my own personal experience) I have five and actually we have a large enough house and I'm a stay at home cat mom and my husband works out of his home office, buttttttttttttttt, I want to be able to give ALOT of loving to them(I have a very special needs baby also) So I'm going for Quality and NOT quantity. "that is my final answer!" :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think it all depends on how your living arrangements are. If I had a big house I would have no problem to have 5+ cats. But in a downtown apartment 2-3 cats is about the limit, or it would be too crowded. We all need our own space, both humans and cats.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think we're maxed out at 4 cats. We have a lot of room for more, but that's not the issue. We have our hands full making sure our 4 have equal time with us playing, grooming, cuddling, kissing. Not to mention feeding, scooping, cleaning and vet bills. And we still feel like we're not spending enough time with them!

I am extremely admiring of true cat parents (unlike hoarders) that have more than that number, and take such great care of them. I know I'm not capable of that. :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
In my experience, 5 seems to be the average critical mass for spraying, fighting, and other territorial behaviors. It's probably best to stick to 4 or less, unless you have a lot of square footage as well as vertical space, several good places for litterboxes, and the time to devote to giving everyone their fair share of attention!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts