Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 cats and right now Snowball and Spookie are sitting next to me shivering in fear from the lightning war going on over my house. I've put a heavy blanket across their backs because that usually helps to calm them with smaller thunderstorms. Both of them are purring but definitely not happy campers! Spookie has always been easily spooked (no pun intended, ok maybe a little) but Snowball didn't have this fear until she found Spookie reacting to it. She completely fed off of his fear which sucks.

Do your cats fear thunder? How do they show their fear and what do you do (or not do)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aw... poor kitties!

All mine run all over the place is there is a very loud crack of thunder, but mostly they ignore storms. The calmest and laziest one (the Burmese) just wakes up from her nap and looks around, then goes back to sleep. The others usually just go back to what they were doing after they figure out nothing is going to crash down on them. :) I do have one that is more of a scaredy cat... I just talk to him sweetly and tell him it is okay when he is being silly like that. He runs to hide under the kitchen table and looks like he just saw a ghost. And yeah, come to think of it, my scaredy cat is the newest member, and before, none of my other cats reacted at all to loud storms. Interesting how they do that, isn't it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
poor scared kittiees! My girls have complete different reactions, in that Lickorish doesn't react at all, and Squeek belly crawls to the bedroom closet and stays there until the storm passes. Fortunately we don't get many thunderstorms around here.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
most of ours hide or don't seem to be bothered, yeti cat wants up in your lap or up in bed with us..

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mine will belly crawl too to the nearest cover (under the sofa). Occasionally when lighting or thunder strike all of a sudden and he is in the middle of nowhere, he will freeze and I had to carry him to his hiding place.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The last storm here Io was right at the window, batting at it, trying to "catch" the hail stones.

Yeah right, kitty. Good luck with that. :p

(We ended up locking her in the bathroom when the wind changed because we were worried our windows would get broken and she'd fall out.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Josie seems to be scared of thunder. When she is out and about and it starts to storm, she looks a bit nervous and runs and hides in a closet. It makes me so sad to think of how scared she must have been when she was outside as a stray during storms. :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure its a scarey thing at first for cats stuck outdoors :( I just hope my two scaredy cats don't make a habit of this.. Snowball is usually fearless, she'll be cautious, but to wake up with her shivering beside me really had me wondering what else I hadn't exposed her to when she was a kitten. She's fine with our dogs, cautious around stranger animals as I wanted her to be, but friendly towards all people.. when she was 15 weeks old she went to a fundraiser with the rescue dogs to an outdoor bar on the beach. Some of the dogs had to leave and go out of the pavilion when the live band started, Snowball fell asleep on my shoulder.. This was totally new for all 3 of us.. Spookie has been getting less confident over the past few months but I assumed that was because he was having difficulty with his neurologic issues. Now I'm just hopeful that they aren't going to start a trend with this new fear. Might invest in thundershirts for them, but sometimes restraints can make cats worse than make them feel better..

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My girls have both always been afraid of thunderstorms and, worse yet, fireworks. They loathe the 4th of July. At the first rumble, Celia slinks off to hide under something - and not just any something. She never goes under the couch. It's either my bed or the loveseat, because both have material that goes down to the floor. Margaux tries to brave it at first but eventually disappears under the loveseat too. I lift up the whatever it's called and both are crouched under there with the big eyes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Josie seems to be scared of thunder. When she is out and about and it starts to storm, she looks a bit nervous and runs and hides in a closet. It makes me so sad to think of how scared she must have been when she was outside as a stray during storms. :(
This^

My former stray hides even if there is a heavy rain. She usually goes into the closet and waits it out. I will turn on the radio or tv, and close the curtains, and that seems to help. I always feel so bad thinking about what she must have been through. My other two like to watch the rain, they arent afraid at all.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
We don't get thunder here, maybe once a year really briefly and usually far off, if at all. Although, we actually did get a storm here for around 5 hours straight about a month ago (set record in the area for such a long storm)... there was one rumble of thunder that was right overhead! It set off car alarms, so I can't imagine any dog or cat not being at least started of thunder like that. The dogs in the house started barking and I'd just brought Blacky in, but I can't recall how she was, maybe she didn't really care... she is really easy going about noise and weather. She likes it outside, I stuck her in my room during the storm and she mostly just wanted back out (she doesn't like being confined anywhere even if she likes the room), haha. Blaze would be terrified.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pedro & Apple aren't afraid of them at all. In fact, Pedro hunts out the window with the best viewing for thunderstorms. Last summer we had a particularly noisy storm and Apple got quite a fright from it and the rest of the summer she was pretty scared of them. I'm glad that she forgot that fear by this summer. She seems back to her chill self with them. :)

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that so many of you have cats who aren't fazed by thunderstorms! Every cat and dog I know - it's admittedly not a very large sample - is afraid of them.

Mine don't like wind either. The stray, who isn't really afraid of much and who can sleep through an awful lot of noise, just bolted off my deck when that crazy derecho hit at the end of June.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts