Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By "treats" I mean those foods that are not healthy or nutritious but cats love, such as tuna, turkey pastrami and the little cans of Fancy Feast, for example. How much is ok to give and how often?

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I know with treats like Temptations, Greenies, and Party Mix (Murphy's new favorite, having gotten a bag for Christmas), they say to give up to 18 of them a day. That sounds kind of arbitrary, but apparently that's the most they think they can eat without dampening their appetite so they don't eat their more nutritious food.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
My cats are apparently eating treats for every meal.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't really have a set number pet week. I really only use treats as training devices (after nail-clipping or walking for example) or offer them on a random occasion when I just feel like it.

So some weeks my cats don't get any treats. I feel like this way it keeps them very special (and therefore really encourages them to behave when I have to put them through something that is rewarded in treats, like nail-clipping), as opposed to it becoming a nightly habit or something that they just automatically expect.

Also Apollo is a finicky eater, and I worry if he got treats too often, he'd refuse to eat his food and wait for treats instead. And considering the treats are those little Wellness jerky bits, I definitely don't want him eating too many of those. Too much salt!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My cats are apparently eating treats for every meal.
LOL! As for 18 treats a day...holy smokes! My girls only receive typical cat treats (Go/Now grain free or Pure Bites freeze dried). They get 2 or 3 treats at bedtime and perhaps another 2 to 4 during the day, but like saitenyo, I only give them those extra ones for specific purposes. As for other foods that they "love" such as the type you mentioned, I rarely feed them "people food" (maybe once every few months) and I never give them Fancy Feast and the like. I always worry that if I started, I'd then have trouble getting them to eat their healthy foods!

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
It's not the best, but it's all my girls will eat. Hopefully, I can try the better foods again soon. I simply can't afford to throw good food out right now. (Well, it actually went to the ferals, who were eating better than my bratz.)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I don't concentrate on how MUCH I give him treat wise just what I give him.

Tuna isn't so great for him because of Mercury so I don't give him that.
Lunch meat is a no no because of salt and nitrates (unless my SO is here and he feeds him on the sly).
He's already eating a good quality canned cat food so there's no reason to give him other canned as a treat.

If he's very persistant or seems quite hungry I'll give him an extra tablespoon of his regular canned food as a snack. If I'm eating something I know he'll like and it's good for him I might save a bit for him.

We have fish/shrimp/crab about once a week and I set a bit aside and leave it unseasoned/sauced and cook it just for him or share with him as I'm cleaning the plain shrimp / crab.

I know if his treats are too much when he gets a little too much upholstery around his midsection and I back off.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I'll give him a treat twice a week, then, because I'm not able to restrain myself and wait for a whole week or a special occasion. He enjoys them so much that I enjoy more than him, from giving them to him. :)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I've never given special wet food before, I'm not paying a few dollars for a little tin just to have my cats possibly snob it, they take to their regular variety of wet food enough that I don't think there's a need to pay extra for a different type.

I don't ever give tuna, no exceptions.

I hardly eat deli meat myself because it isn't healthy (and more of a summer time light lunch/dinner to me) so I'm not going out there to buy something unhealthy just for my cats...

At dinner any meat we have leftover (chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey) gets saved for being added to the dogs food and the cats don't beg for food (the cats are never even in the kitchen!) so I don't even think about giving them meat. I'd say less than ten times a year do the cats get any kind of human meat.

Right now my cats treats are Chicken Temptations but I don't give them often, kind of whenever the mood strikes me. If they get 10 a week that's a lot (twice, five each time). My cats aren't food oriented enough for me too worry about treats any more than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts