Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Ive decided that now that I should be giving Catty and Kitty more raw meat than I usually do now. How much raw meat do I give cats each day?
I give the occasional bacon rind choped up finely but that's really about it.

Any suggestions??

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Ive decided that now that I should be giving Catty and Kitty more raw meat than I usually do now. How much raw meat do I give cats each day?
I give the occasional bacon rind choped up finely but that's really about it.

Any suggestions??
The following threads should be helpful:Also, the following websites:Best regards!

AC

P.S. Bacon rind is actually not a good thing to be feeding your kitties.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice and the threads and websites!
It really helped! What happens if I feed them a little bit of bacon rind?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey KittieLover, good to see you're trying to feed them more raw. Bacon rind is not good because raw pork has parasites that would harm your kitty! The best meats to feed raw are poultry, beef, lamb, rabbit and other wild game!

Good luck and have a read at the links given above! Our 3 kitties are on a pre-packaged raw at the moment with Orijen dry but I'll be making my own raw very soon! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey KittieLover, good to see you're trying to feed them more raw. Bacon rind is not good because raw pork has parasites that would harm your kitty! The best meats to feed raw are poultry, beef, lamb, rabbit and other wild game!

Good luck and have a read at the links given above! Our 3 kitties are on a pre-packaged raw at the moment with Orijen dry but I'll be making my own raw very soon! :)
Hello Sephie!:D
I won't feed them bacon rind anymore! I don't want their cholesterol to go up! I will feed them more beef and maybe chicken? I give them abit of chicken aswell.

Thank-you so much for the information! I really appreciate it!:wink

·
Banned
952 Posts
Thanks for your advice and the threads and websites!
It really helped! What happens if I feed them a little bit of bacon rind?
I wouldn't feed it because of this...

Not to mention that bacon is full of nitrates and salt. Not good for little kitties.
Not this....
...Bacon rind is not good because raw pork has parasites that would harm your kitty! The best meats to feed raw are poultry, beef, lamb, rabbit and other wild game!

In developed countries, there is no more concern about parasites in pork than there is about parasites in any other type of meat.

AC

·
Registered
751 Posts
In the USA, Australia, Canada, and the UK you can feed fresh pork from a government approved source. Pork has been safe in Australia forever, and for at least a decade in both the UK and USA. However, if you are not sure of where the pig was raised and/or are living in some EU countries, then you want to freeze the meat for three weeks prior to feeding. Information to the contrary of this is old data and/or scare tactics. Trichinosis is not a thing you need to worry about if you live in the countries listed above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Phew - nearly panicked there when I saw the point about pork having parasites in - Hooker has been downing pork all week! But I'm in the beautiful land Down Under so it's ok :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ohhhh right! So I can feed raw pork! I live in Australia, (down under), aswell and they we have very good pork.

Stupid thing my brother did yesturday, fed the cats THICK, chucks of bacon rind. A lot of it TOO! I went crazy at him for doing it and I told the exact reason why you shouldn't. He didn't seem to care that much but oh boy; I do!

I'm never, ever going to feed them bacon rind ANYMORE! With the parasites in them, what does it do to them? Does it do anything bad?

·
Registered
412 Posts
We feed about 8oz of raw a day when we're feeding raw only, so basically one lb of meat between two cats. That seems to be the minimum amount my big cat will eat without driving us insane with begging and losing weight too quickly. The kitten eats that plus sometimes a bit extra, but they even out to about 8oz each pretty regularly. When we're feeding canned + raw they get one feed a day of about 3-4 oz grain free canned before bed but in the morning we feed them as much raw as they'll eat over the course of about 30 minutes. I think it still works out to about 8oz a day of food, each. Both of them are maintaining healthy weights at this amount but I think the kitten will eventually need less, he's turning out to be a petite cat even with all his growing!

Short answer? I think it really depends on your cat, their body weight, their activity level and how satisfied they seem.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I feed my adult cats between 6-8 oz of food a day. Most of the time a combination of canned (in the eve) + raw (in the morn). The 16 week old kitten eats about 9-11 oz/day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts