Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I curious to know what you guys pay.

I am interested to know what you pay for rabies vaccine (and what type of vaccine it is), what you pay for the FVRCP or FVRCPC vaccine, and whether or not your vet charges an exam fee for administering the vaccine and if so how much it is.

My vet charges $19 for killed rabies and $25 for Canarypox vectored recombinant rabies (Merial PureVax). They charge $33 for FVRCP and they do charge a $39 exam fee if you opt for the FVRCP vaccine but they do not charge an exam fee if you just get rabies.

I ordered 25 doses of FVRCP vaccine online with 25 syringe w/ needle sets for $54. I split overnight shipping with 2 other people and that's included in the cost. That works out to $2.16 a dose. This is the same vaccine the vet uses. We use these on kittens and cats that we rescue. I'm not sure if I will give my own cat this vaccine or have my vet order the PureVax Feline 3 for her when it's time. This vaccine is adjuvant-free too though. She's not due for FVRCP for 2 more years anyways.

·
Banned
603 Posts
My vet charges $17.50 for fvrcp and $8 rabies. No exam fee for any vaccines but he does check them over and weigh them while there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
$35 vet visit
$12 Rabies (NOT Purevax)
$12 FVRCP

I forget what I paid for the Purevax vaccine. The price isn't listed on their website because I don't think she typically carries it. My vet services a lot of shelters, TNR programs, and area residents with financial troubles so there isn't much demand for a more expensive vaccine.

I don't think I paid more than $25 for the Rabies shot though even with her having to order it.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
57 Vet visit (45 if it's a follow up)
37 FIV/FELV
24 Rabies

That said, I don't vaccinate my cats since they are indoors only.

·
Registered
110 Posts
$39 - Exam
$21 - Killed Rabies
$17 - FVRCP

There's a huge shelter here that does all vaccines for $16 the first Saturday of every month. 100% of the proceeds goes to the animals currently in their care since they're obviously non-profit. We're going to start doing it this way when we take our pup to be vaccinated next month. We can always take them to our regular vet for the $39 check up as well. All the vaccines are administered by the same vets that spay/neuter the shelter pets, so I trust they know what they're doing. It also makes me feel a little better that my $16 is helping supply food for homeless pups and kitties rather than paying the car payment on our vets Beamer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I forgot to add that I always round up to the next $10 on my vet bill as a donation. For the prices she charges and the types of organizations and community she services, she's really not making too much money. She has animals that live at the office that they take care of out of pocket. I figure if I can get them a couple day's worth of food for the office pets, it's worth it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't vaccinate my cats anymore but I'm trying to remember how much I paid for my youngest's last set of kitten shots/rabies. Over all it was around $150 yes that vet was a rip off(as most are). My dog's was over $200 because this new vet convinced us to get all these new random shots that didnt exist a year ago. Yes I regret it now and will only get her a rabies shot from now on, but none for the kitties anymore.

I've never paid less than $65 just to walk into the vets office before

·
Registered
110 Posts
If our vet did anything with the community or took in strays as yours does, I wouldn't mind paying all the fees.

Yes, they are very nice and even sent a card when I took my rabbit there and had to have her put down due to cancer, but they don't do any time of donations or community services that I've been aware of for the last 4 years that I've been taking my pets there.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Rabies isn't an issue here (thankfully) and the vaccine fee includes a medical exam and a free check up of teeth, weight, etc six months later.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. The difference in our prices are pretty big.

My vet is a little expensive but I think it's worth it. The staff is always nice and courteous. They have 4 veterinarians on staff with someone on call 24/7. I always request the same veterinarian though because she's my favorite. She has always went out of her way to make us and our pets happy. She's also willing to help me on the phone with cats and kittens that we rescue. She also writes prescriptions that I can get filled online and is the only vet that will order PureVax in the area.

·
Registered
463 Posts
At my clinic it's $68 for the visit, $27.90 for FVRCP + chlamydia and $27.90 for 3 years rabies (imrab)

I am done vaccinating them now, I will only do the rabies if I have to because of law etc. We only did all the vaccines this year because we have to move next year and I may need to provide paperwork to a landlord.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Regular office visit $46 but no visit charge for shots only
FVRCP booster $46.
rabies 1 yr (Merial live virus is what it says) $28

What? I hadn't really thought about it, but it says that both of those shots are supposed to be given every year. $74/yr per kitty. Seems kind of expensive.

Since they do come into contact with my stray, though, I guess I should keep the FVRCP?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regular office visit $46 but no visit charge for shots only
FVRCP booster $46.
rabies 1 yr (Merial live virus is what it says) $28

What? I hadn't really thought about it, but it says that both of those shots are supposed to be given every year. $74/yr per kitty. Seems kind of expensive.

Since they do come into contact with my stray, though, I guess I should keep the FVRCP?
I do rabies once a year and FVRCP every 3 years after 2 kitten doses and 1 year dose. I am certain that immunity lasts longer than 3 years but I do it to be safe.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If our vet did anything with the community or took in strays as yours does, I wouldn't mind paying all the fees.

Yes, they are very nice and even sent a card when I took my rabbit there and had to have her put down due to cancer, but they don't do any time of donations or community services that I've been aware of for the last 4 years that I've been taking my pets there.
Off topic...but...have you ever asked what your vet does for the community? Your vet may be extremely involved and you would never know unless you've asked or are very involved volunteering in the animal community yourself. And maybe your vet likes to keep his/her involvement quiet...many people just do things in the background without any public knowledge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I purchase my pets vaccines through the shelter I volunteer for, I give them their FVRCP (killed virus) every other year and the shelter DVM gives them their rabies at the shelter's clinic (3-year vac.). If its time for vaccines and one of the cats isn't feeling well (or if they get to be over the age of 9 years) I have the holistic vet in our practice check their titers and write a waiver as long as the titers are lawful.

Prices:

Rabies 3-year: 15$
FVRCP: 12$
Titers: 150$

Edit: the office visit for the shelter clinic is 34 dollars, the office visit for the holistic vet is somewhere between 50 and 100 but I don't pay attention since I get professional courtesy discounts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts