Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to kitkat who inspired me to start this thread. I would like to know how much you normally tip your hairdresser. So lets do this ...state what service you get (haircut, highlights, both, ect. )and how much that usually costs, and then say what you would normally tip. :D

I am a hairdresser in Southern California and I thought it would be interesting to see how much other hairdressers get tipped in other states. I will post what I usually get in a few days. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
HOw much do you tip..

Oh, tipping is a nightmare! Its just the protocol of it all.. who do you tip and when?
If you get your hair washed by a junior, are you supposed to press a pound coin into her had after she's finished..or is that a bit patronising? I used to give one big tip at the end..'for everyone'. But then I'd worry that it never got to the right people.
My stylist left to start up her own business, and I go to her new business now. She does everything herself..including washing and sweeping up the hair. Its avery succesful business, it's not particularly cheap - and she's the proprietor, so am I supposed to tip her still?
I find it a bit embarassing, but I usually give her £5 for an £80 'do' (includes colour and cut). Is that a bit mean? Its not even 10 per cent :oops:

seashell

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Seashell, I think thats about average for the UK. I used to work in a hairdressers while at school and we used to get about that between us (we also used to share... 50p to the girl who sweeps up all day, 1 pound to the junior (me) who washes the hair and the other 3.50 to the stylist (obviously if you had different stylists cut & colour you might want to give a little more.

You also have to think that that is one of the only real professions in the UK where it is more expected to tip and therefore the prices are higher for things there because the 'tip' is included in the price to some extent.

OK now for me - when I go for a cut, it costs me $45 and I give her $5, I also give the girl who straightens my hair $2. But that is only when I go in for a quick trim. When I go in for a cut & colour & straighten I give them $10-15 depending on what I am having done and it comes to about $90-$120

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I usually give my hairdresser $10 regardless of the service she provides. She cuts my hair every 6 weeks and colors it every 3 months. It costs me between $45 to $75 plus tip. The neat thing about her is that when I started going to her in 1998, I didn't know you were supposed to tip your hairdresser. She never brought it up and has always done a superb job with my hair.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I get my hair done for free. Usually I tip whoever washes my hair anywhere btwn $2-5. Whoever does my hair gets around $10-20 depending on whether it's just a cut or dying, etc. If my aunt/uncle does everything, I bring them something like coffee or pastries and I'm all good :)

Lucky for me. I have long hair and getting my hair done at any other place would cost a boatload.

·
Banned
613 Posts
My hair cut and style usually costs 25 dollars and I tip between 5-10 dollars. There is never a seperate shampoo person where I go so I don't have to tip a shampoo boy.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My hair stylist is amazing! She just started her own business, and I plan to come back to her even after we've moved. It's so difficult to find someone good. A cut costs me $25, and I tip her $5.

I actually have another girl color my hair; she's a perfectionist and the foils I have done. I always tip her $10 because the expense is higher.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmm, my hair cut usually costs less than 1$ because the hairdresser is my neighbor and no tips. I only had my hair cut in a strange salon twice and it's too expensive to pay for tip. In the well-known salon of Hanoi, it costs from 7 to 10$. If you want to dye (or change the color of your hair - I'm not self-confident with spelling?), it cost more than 10$. I don't know exactly, I've never been in this situation :p

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
O.....I had to jump in this thread.
I was a hairstylist for 15 years before I became a Stay at home Mom.

I worked in the Mpls area in MN...tips were GREAT!
I worked in West Central, WIsoconsin and tips were TERRIBLE!

Very Very Very frustrating! I think people do not realize what a personal service this is to touch strangers all day long. There really was a huge difference from MN to WI...I could not believe it. :(

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Back when I lived in the city, I used to use a hairdresser (now I do it myself), and tipped as follows:

Cut/Color: cost $50-85, I tipped about $10, depending on what was done, once in a while I'd go to $15 if there was a lot of work involved.
Perm: cost $125 +/- (spiral perm on waist-length hair) I tipped $25+, because it was such a pain for her to do and required extra time and materials. I never had a problem getting an appointment. :wink:

My husband never tips me when I cut his hair. :evil: Then again, I never tip me, either. :?

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Next time I go to a hairdresser I'll let you know...;)

One of the perks of being a poor college student (who spends all her money on her animals :roll:). You get to see how long your hair will grow until you can't take it anymore and chop it all off :lol:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I go to Bob's Barber Shop. The cut costs me $9, I usually give them $11.

It's not the kind of response you were looking for, I know. :lol:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Actually Rob,
I worked in a Barber Shop for about 3 years.
A $2. tip for a mans haircut was very much appreciated. :D
Normal routine for Barber Shop was to spray the hair down with a
squirt bottle and cut....simple blow dry.
Not alot of fuss and muss. I prefer to cut mens hair anyday of the week!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My haircut has to be so easy to do for them too... #3 on the sides and back and about half inch to three quarter inch long all pushed forward, lol.

This is the best barbershop I've ever been to, I've been a regular for about four years now. It's going to be one of those things that I'm really going to miss when I move soon.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
spacemonkey said:
One of the perks of being a poor college student (who spends all her money on her animals :roll:). You get to see how long your hair will grow until you can't take it anymore and chop it all off :lol:
I hear you there! I used to get my hair cut every 16 months or so. I usually went in when I couldn't get my hairbrush through it anymore and I'd have it all hacked off. I was a dream come true for Mel, my hairdresser. I would go in and say, "Do whatever you want." She gets excited every time I come in and says, "Can I do whatever I want?!" Since my wedding, I've started going in a lot more often and my hair has never looked as good. Mel's trying to get my hair to grow out to look like Julia Roberts'. Now if only I was better at styling it...

For the record, my hair grows to the middle of my back and no longer.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I usually go to a nice salon to get my hair done. I've went to plenty of cheaper salons and they skimp on the haircolor, although I say I'll pay extra, etc and it doesn't turn out good.

My hair is about 5 inches above my waist, and thick too. I get my hair layered and trimmed in the back, and like to get it dyed and highlighted. This usually runs me around $200 for everything since I have such thick hair and I tip around $30 depends on what's done and how long it took.

For just an average layer and cut it's about $50 and I tip around $10. It really just depends on where I'm going but that's around the price.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
spacemonkey said:
Next time I go to a hairdresser I'll let you know...;)

I DEFINATLEY relate to you on this one! :) I havn't had a hair cut since this summer when I was at home. It needs a cut BAD but it's at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
617 Posts
my mom had me goin with her to her hairdresser so she payed for mine too. i don't know what she tips. but that woman charges way too **** much, $110 for trim, shampoo, & color. i the shampoo lady, erma, $5. i think lorene takes her own tip out the $110, so i don't give her a tip.

when i need somethin quick, like madwhacker or somethin, i tip $5 or $10. depending on how good they do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts