Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a five year old tortiseshell kitty and she is a little overweight (thanks to her previous owners) we are feeding her dry food ... those of you that believe there are good dry foods, how much would you recommend we feed her? We do not free feed. ~Alicia

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
What brand are you feeding, how much does she weigh and how much should she weigh?

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are feeding her - Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula .... the average weight for an indoor cat is about 12lbs max? Would you agree??

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's not a good food. You should read the ingredients. I was shocked after I knew what is good. I used to feed that. I've switched to Wellness Indoor Health and my cat likes it. The transition was done over about 10 days. Wellness has a grain free brand called CORE.

It has instructions on the back but I feed slightly less.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
My cats weigh almost 7 lbs. 7 lbs., 7.25 lbs., and 9 lbs.

All cats are different, depends on their bone structure, type of cat, etc.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
All cats are different, depends on their bone structure, type of cat, etc.
This.

My guys is @ about 13.5lbs (give or take a couple of ounces) and he's at a good weight for him.

I can't really help you with dry food.... I know that he gets between 7 and 7.5 ounces per day of wet food.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from what I understand tortoiseshell cats aren't actually the breed. I don't really know what type of cat she is.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
No...just like people, every cat has a different bone structure. Kobi weighs 19 lbs and while he isn't really fat, about 17.5 lbs would probably be ideal. Maggie is perfect at a little over 9 lbs and at 12 would be a chunky monkey. Holly is about 12 lbs and she's pretty thin under all that fur...13-14 would probably be ideal for her.

In the absence of the weight data, all you can go is guess...reduce the amount you are feeding by 10%, wait a couple weeks and see if she appears to be losing. If not, reduce by another 10% and see what happens. You don't want her to lose too fast and risk fatty liver disease.

And I have to add, that you're not likely to see much of a result feeding dry food, even feeding measured portions...because of the carb content. But particularly feeding Purina One. If you want any shot at it at all with dry food, I'd recommend EVO Weight Management, which is the only weight management dry food that I think has any chance of helping.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you I appreciate all the help so far. I have to saw that since we got her she has already begun loosing weight simply because we do no free feed (her previous owners did). I am not against wet food I just don't know enough about it to use it. (I've always heard that it is bad for cats) Feel free to educate me.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Tortoiseshell is color not a breed, they're called Torties for short and are almost always girls.
Along with Calicos and Torbies(Patched tabby) they are considered Party colored kitties in cat shows.
From what I can see of your pretty kitty she looks to be a Domestic Shorthaired.
As for canned food my Chiquita like Merricks 96% Chicken and Grammy's Pot Pie.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you I plan to post a better pic very soon... am I right that tortoiseshell kitties are muts?

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Every cat without official papers is a mutt, moggie, Heinz 57....

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok that makes sense. No she isn't a purebred. I don't know anything about Sienna's parents - just that her previous owner worked with a lady whos cat had a litter.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts