Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 cats. Ages 10(smudge) , 8(jack) and 4(abby) . They are all on wet food only with only 1 of them(Jack) eating some commerial raw foods and a little raw chicken wing and liver. Smudge will also eat a little chicken/liver. Abby still won't have anything to do with most raw food. My question is, how much liver is safe to feed them during the week. I know there is already vitamin A in their wet food and in the raw since the raw has liver in it also. I just started them on liver maybe 5 days ago. They have gotten appx. 2 oz of liver in that time. I really can't figure out how much they can have without it being too much. Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
My cat Sunny gets 1.5 ounces of liver a week and 1.5 ounces of kidney as well as part of his frankenprey model diet but I figured out what he needed with a formula I found, can't remember where now. If your cats are eating cat food you don't have to worry so much about balancing everything though. I know too much liver is not good because they can develop diarrhea but I'm not sure where that cutoff would be, sorry.

·
Registered
212 Posts
From what I read, too much vitamin A is really toxic to cats. That's why I don't feed my kitties cod liver oil or raw liver. They already get it from their wet food.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Commercial raw will have the liver needs covered, if you are just adding a bit of a wing or something here or there, I would not give the extra liver. I feed home made raw, so I have to be sure Charli does eat liver, but I only give the amount specified in the raw food recipe, as too much is not good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses! I'm only giving it to them as a treat and to try to expand their tastes for raw foods. Especially abby, who doesn't seem to want anything to do with raw food. I know they get the vitamin A that they NEED, I just wanted to make sure that giving an ounce or so a week would not be TOO much vitamin A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts