Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you help me guesstimate how much litter it would take to fill a 19"x15" litter box to 4" deep? a 40# bag?

thank you!
Bon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A 42 lbs bag should be enough. The litter box that we have for our cat is about the same measurements and I fill it only about half way up (measured on the sides) so about 2.5" high I would guess and I half left over from the 42 lbs bag that I always buy.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Bon, I think using about 20 lbs would be more than enough for a small kitten. Younger kitties probably won't dig that deep, so you should be ok with that amount...you could also do a trial too, of course, when you get your new addition(s).

I'll tell you, nothing beats unscented, non-dusty litter for me. I had some cheap clay litter that I've recently added to refill my box, and it's suuuuuuper dusty and scented, ugh. :( Now my kitties smell like their perfumey litter. I'm going to donate the unused portion of that scented litter to my local shelter asap and go back to my original, Integrity multicat scoopable clay. I also like Dr. Elsey's Ultra (blue bag). No more straying to other brands, lol!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless your cat likes having the litter that deep, you can probably get by with less (assuming you are scooping frequently). Isa prefers being able to dig to the bottom of the pan so I usually only use 1 to 2 inches. She is happy and I spend less on litter. :)

·
Banned
22 Posts
I have about 3-4 inches deep of litter in both my boxes and one box took about half of a 35 lb jug of clumping litter to fill it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I fill up a 30 gallon storage container with a 40lb bag and top it off as I scoop. It's around 3-4" and nothing ever reaches the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts