Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We still seem to be having issues so i picked some up tonight on my way home.

Im just wondering, how much do you guys offer them at one time? I know someone said sprinkle some on their food, but how much of a sprinkle?

Hes 18 pounds, if that helps at all. (i know, hes big, but hes big boned-ed too ;) )

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, i should add, he has passed some, its just still nuggety and not much at a time.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Miralax is a dose-to-effect drug, meaning that you start with a low dose of 1/8 tsp once daily mixed into canned food, then adjust the dose every couple of days, if necessary, until optimal stool consistency is achieved. If you give too much, the stool will become too soft or loose. If not enough, the stool will remain small and hard.

Miralax's works by holding water in the GI tract to help soften the stool, so its efficacy is dependent on the cat being properly hydrated. I strongly recommend mixing plenty of warm water into canned food to create "canned food soup" for the cat to lap up. Also, place extra water bowls around the house to promote additional water consumption. These strategies will help increase your cat's hydration.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Miramax will help treat the symptoms but will do nothing to fix the cause. see laurief's repeated comments on feeding wet and adding water for hydration

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do normally feed wet/dry combo, it was only those past couple days (now 2 days ago, so 2 days ago he hadnt had any wet for a couple days) that he didnt have any. But i did use my kibble soup method in between as well, so there was always access to 'exciting' water.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Cats have a low thirst drive so be sure you have several bowls of water throughout the house. I have 5 cats and 5 large bowls in a two story house that are topped off daily and changed completely every other day. A ready supply of fresh, clean drinking water will help tremendously, as will more canned than dry.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The reason we are giving Marble Miralax is becaue it was recommended by our vet. When we took her in she wasn't acting right and not using the litter box to poop. Back to the vet and they found she had an intestinal blockage and a smaller than normal hip area. After several enemas and an overnight visit she was 'refreshed' and they recommended the Miralax....probably 1/8th tsp....well, I just sprinkle about as much on her canned food as I used to do salt on my eggs and I didn't over salt. That was two years ago and her stools have been normal ever since.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just gave miralax by syringe

I tried mixing it in other things, but he didnt seem to want all of it. i didnt want to leave it on the food as they share food and often Boo gets to it first. today is day 2 of no poop (if theres nothing overnight). so like a day and a half right now.

will be calling the vet tomorrow morning if theres still no poop tonight.

I filled the syringe full of water after i made sure i got all of the powder in. hes been eating still and drinking, and not throwing up....

ive checked all around the basement for non-litterbox poops and theres nothing.

i remember hearing on a tv show that if cats (or really, any living thing probably) dont poop for long enough and food cant come out one way, it will come out the other way... so this puzzles me as NOTHING has come out (besides pees) for 2 days.

had a pee on that towel i suspected would happen a couple weeks ago, but honestly that happened today, and this morning i forgot to spray it down with catnip spray... this has me severely questioning whether catnip or feliway is more effective for that. trying to give benefit of the doubt since he hasnt pooped but, its still so frusterating. at least that was just a towel and can go in the wash though... maybe the feliway is still saving the last remaining large area rug. for that reason alone im willing to keep using it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
As I think I explained before, Miralax won't soften stool that is already dry and constipated in his system. It only works to soften newly forming stool. So if he has constipated stool causing an obstruction in his system, you should NOT give Miralax until the obstructed stool has been passed or removed. Miralax can then be given to help prevent future constipation by softening newly forming stool.

Once again, proper hydration is key to managing cats who are prone to constipation. If this is an ongoing problem for your cat, remove ANY AND ALL kibble from his diet, and feed only canned (or homemade) foods with plenty of warm water mixed in.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The problem with giving Miralax to a cat with an existing GI obstruction like impacted, constipated stool is that Miralax will only soften the newly forming stool BEHIND the existing impaction. This creates a "water building up behind a dam" scenario in the intestinal tract, which can seriously worsen the situation for the cat. That's why it's important to deal with any obstruction BEFORE giving Miralax, so that the newly forming, softened stool has somewhere to go.

If an obstruction/impaction exists, a laxative/hairball remedy, enema, and/or manual evacuation (performed by a vet) should be implemented to remove the obstruction prior to using Miralax to help prevent further issues.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did wake up to some poops today, so that was relieving!

I am confused though... if youre supposed to wait until theyre no longer constipated, the cycle will never end. people take it when they cant go in order to be able to, right? SHouldnt it be the same for any mammal?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There's a difference between it being difficult or uncomfortable to go, and not being able to go at all because of an intestinal obstruction/impaction. If the cat is obstructed and can't pass any stool, Miralax should not be given. In that situation, a lubricating laxative should be given, instead. If, however, the stool that is being passed is small, hard, and dry, Miralax will help soften newly forming stool so that it is easier and more comfortable to pass.

Miralax will not cure an impaction, but it can help prevent one.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, i know what you mean now. In that case hes not obstructed though... today was a bit less nuggety too after having the miralax last night. I think hes on his way :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Will definately let you know if we stay on track. I still feel like i want to keep up with the miralax, at least a few days... just to be sure. His poops have always been nuggety, usually one "turd" with some nuggets as well, but because it wasnt much at once last time had me concerned. then 1 day of no poops at all (which isnt that unusual around here). then when there was still none by evening the next night, nearing 2 days i began to worry.

I just always get so scared that something terrible is about to happen. But like you, I cant afford to go to the vet just to be told nothing is wrong. Ive been keeping an eye on the poops themselves too, no blood, no strange colouration to it. Just regular poops. And, in the litterbox!! :D

Also still no signs of vomiting or stopping eating/drinking/playing. Very normal otherwise.

Maybe i caught it before it became an obstruction?

Today i gave him some with a bit of sauce. He loves sauce, and since i wasnt *as* worried having had the poops this morning, i felt okay doing that and just making a really soupy food mix for him (them). touching wood for smooth days ahead!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just checked my label on the bottle of SmoothLax, a Walgreens product that I happened to buy when I was there picking up wife's prescription medicine. It was a better price because they had it on sale and their bottle said.....compare to Miralax which I did and they use the same ingrediens.

ADULT DOSE....FROM THE LABEL....ADULT DOSE
17 g. once a day which is a capful of their product so my cat would get just a sprinkle on her wet food after the vet recommended such..1/8th tsp once a day so I figured a sprinkle in the morning and evening was enough and she hasn't had a blockage since. Who knows what she ate when she was 'on the loose' before we adopted her. Lately we haven't had to give her even a spinkle as her poops are normal for a wet can diet and she goes more than once a day. A little upsetting to her when we investigate the stool before she =buries it but :worship

SmoothLax softens stool and is Polyethlene Glycol 3350
There are cautions on the label which would also be on miralax if there are other symptoms....contact a doctor or in our case...a vet.

1-800-719-9260 fo Q&A's at Walgreens.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Today i gave him some with a bit of sauce. He loves sauce, and since i wasnt *as* worried having had the poops this morning, i felt okay doing that and just making a really soupy food mix for him (them). touching wood for smooth days ahead!
What is "sauce"? Is this the gravy from cat food? Just curious...

I know this has been mentioned several times, but I'd get your kitty off of kibble if his poop is regularly hard/dry. Continue to give him wet food with water added. You could also try adding some canned pumpkin to his wet food to help keep him regular. But proper hydration (and getting him off of dry food) is really going to be key!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thinking of this now... how does miralax effect UTI possibility?

From what I understand the miralax removes excess liquid and brings it into the bowels to make a softer movement.....

But, what about in the case of a cat with a UTI in the past??

I just had this terrible thought that by trying to help my cat poop easier, that i may be on the way to causing UTI by un-diluting the pee, doing more damage while trying to help...?

Just a question is all, i scooped up a nice big pee today, and have been giving the miralax nightly for about 4 nights now. But this just dawned on me today and I am wondering if i am doing more harm than good?

still acting completely normal otherwise... just probably my paranoia again.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
As long as your cat is properly hydrated, there should be no concern. And since hydration is the #1 management necessity for a cat with chronic constipation, I will assume that you are properly addressing that issue.

Diluted urine, btw, actually promotes UTI's. The typically acidic pH of naturally concentrated feline urine discourages bacterial growth. When that acid environment is diluted, however, it allows for a proliferation of bacterial growth. That's why cats with renal insufficiency who lose the ability to concentrate their urine are prone to UTI's.

The situation is reversed in cats who develop urinary crystals. For them, it's important to increase hydration and urination to keep crystals flushed out of their urinary tracts.

Clear as mud?

Laurie

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
ahh, Laurie, this is quite helpful info. Now I understand. My vet told me Lacey had diluted urine and a UTI. I scratched my head and could not understand how DILUTED urine could cause it. I would have thought that a concentrated urine would be problems. She never showed any symptoms like Missy used to of a UTI, so I was surprised. She was put on a round of antibiotics.

I have not idea how Miralax would affect anything except bowel movements.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts