Cat Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What are some ways you use to make sure only the intended cat gets the miralax? With the laxatone its more solid, so i just put it on my finger and he licked it up. But the miralax needs to be mixed in with something, so you cant really just feed it to him. I have, in things i probably shouldnt have like ketchup or yogurt (the smallest bits), because i knew he would take those regardless of his current mood. But if this is something im going to do long term, he cant have those things everyday... what is there to use?

I wish they sold the sauce that the whiskas wet food comes in by itself... the best way i could describe it was a gravy type thing (this was before we were wise to grocery store brands). when i gave these to him he, both cats actually, usually licked all the sauce right up but left the pieces (hence the pate now). so that sauce or something like that is ideal, but what a waste to buy cat food for just the sauce.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Feed him separately and pick it up when he's done. IMO since he's sick and being medicated right now it's extra important to know exactly how much he's eating.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Problem with that is Boo needs to eat as well, and theyre not mealtime cats at all, theyre freefed. I could give him a separate dish and pick it up like you said, but who's to say he wont go to the other main dish and eat as well. Theres nowhere in the house that she can go that he cant.

I am doing my best as far as making sure he gets the meds part before the food is left for both, but as far as actually feeding separately its pretty much impossible.

You are continuing to give him Miralax also, right?
I wasnt, until today i thought they both did the same thing and it could be overkill. but i did get him a bit of both today though.

Hes been much more himself today. more alert, and wandering about more. he still likes his sleep, but hes not *just* sleeping like yesterday. that makes me feel better.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Claiken keep up with the Miralax like Laurie suggests!
And if he likes yogurt, that won't be bad for him as long as its plain, unsweetened, no fruit yogurt, so you can use that as your 'mixer'!
Laurie explains the differences between the Miralax and the Laxatone very clearly in this thread for you and I know if it was one of my cats experiencing this, I'd be doing the Miralax, first and formost!
All Paws Crossed for your little boy!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for all the support guys. I just hate having so many questions! Good to know that yogurt is okay to use!! Though, last time it was blueberry flavour. but i didnt give him any of the berries, just the yogurt part.

i could try my moms greek yogurt, but thats vanilla. to me, for my taste, its too close to being cheese in flavour even with the vanilla. so not sure if he would take to that one. But i could try it?

he took some today in sweet & sour sauce, i know its not great but he loves sauce! But im able to get the powder in to a decent dip with my finger, it might be between a quarter and a half of a teaspoon after mixing. i wonder if spaghetti sauce would be alright? I know when the dog next door was on a powder supplement, they mixed it with spaghetti sauce under the vets suggestion and he wolfed that right down. and simba does like spaghetti sauce!

even as a treat he never gets a lot of this stuff, im talking a little dab on my finger, on occasion.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I mix Miralax in a needleless syringe with 2-3 ml of hot water, then let it cool off for a few minutes before giving it orally. Easy peasy, and I can be certain that the cat is getting the entire dose every day.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
i did the syringe thing the first time... but he hated it and id rather not do that to him on a daily basis, forever. he will just grow scared of me approaching him.

i got the whole dose to him yesterday in sauce. I think ill stick with that and yogurt, then he thinks hes getting a treat.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Use whatever works for you and your boy. Bear in mind, however, that if he is lactose-intolerant, as many adult cats are, yogurt may loosen up his stool all on its own. So if you're using yogurt, I suggest you reduce the amount of Miralax you mix into it until you see what effect the yogurt/Miralax mix has on his stool consistency.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I scooped the boxes out today (we have 3 now, i think i mentioned buying a 3rd as i was afraid of him being afraid of the current boxes from pain association)... the 3rd box contained quite a large amount of poops in it!! not large around, but large in amount. and not little nuggets like before. more of a "stick" shape this time around.

he didnt poop yesterday, but i wasnt too concerned as he had been basically just washed out, but if i hadnt seen any today i would have started to get worried again.

I did also, wet the kibbles a little bit last night. I figured this might be another way to go for extra water rather than eliminating the kibbles ( as they do both quite enjoy it). I put water in the bowl, gave it about 30 seconds to soak in a bit, then drained it. I know it soaked some in because i had to stir it later, they were sticking together. but they both ate that up just fine... i may just continue doing that as well as the wet food. Water, water everywhere! lol.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Becoming a tad concerned again. not alarmingly, but a bit. no more poops. the last poop was monday about 4pm... but it was a large amount.

I did find a bit of poops today but it was hard to truly tell whos it was, but either cat, it wasnt much.

i hope we are in the clear. ive been doing the miralax since i knew i could do both, and i gave him some more laxatone this evening (last night he wouldnt take it, but tonight i put it on his paw so he would have no choice but to clean it off himself, and injest it.)

i HOPE its just delayed because of how much there was before....

fingers and paws crossed

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
gave him a full 1/4 teaspoon of miralax in yogurt tonight.... still nothing.

but im trying not to freak cuz they both havent pooped... maybe they both will tonight, i hope!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
wet kibble and full wet food all day now along wth actual water... theyre getting water up the wazoo now

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I forgot to mention potentilaly the most important factor.... the vet did the pinch test... she did not think he seemed dehydrated at all.

im beginning to wonder if there can be other potential causes... but then his xray looked good besides the poop.

im just so frusterated, my moms unemployed and im making minimal money with my disability work schedule... we really dont have the money to keep going back to the vet...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
we have poops!! I was going to call the vets (our regular) if there still wasnt any by todya ,but we have sucessful poops! It looks like some in 1 box and some in another... so either they both went some, or he went alot but in 2 locations. either way, theres poops!!

When i think back to monday i think it was boo that had that lots of poops, so this being all his does make sense. she may go later on today or tonight.

i think im going to start adding some metamucil to their wet, and have it already absorb in water (i read on the label that without alot of water it can swell in your throat, yikes!! So i think ill let it swell first). that couldnt hurt.

i ended up sprinkling even more miralax (another sprinkle) on their wet food last night, but intended for him. he got it licked up... and i guess it works! so unless things get runny 1/4 teaspoon is his dose. but that was 1/4 teaspoon in yogurt so im kind of suprised its not runny!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts