Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kittens are mostly on dry/wet currently, though I'm working on some raw for them each day.

Easiest thing that they L-O-V-E is raw egg right now. If I put one down, the two kittens eat ALL of it within about 3 minutes. 2 eggs are gone within 5 easy!

I only give them 1-2 eggs (for both) once a day max... But how much is too much? I know the whole mix suggestions for an all-raw diet, but as it's a mostly-not-raw diet currently, is it OK that they get 1/2 to 1 egg per day?

BTW, they have NO interest in the egg shell yet. I'll be grinding them from now on (tried pounding it fine and putting it with the egg, but didn't work). I'll also be making sure it's sprinkled with the egg mix if ground finely enough or coat the raw foods with it when they have a raw meal. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
From my research.... you're supposed to limit the amount of raw eggs you give your cats because the avidin in the egg white binds biotin (vitamin B7) and can interfere with its absorption potentially leading to biotin deficiency. I understand you can counter act this by cooking the egg white, or just discarding it entirely (and make delicious egg white omelets for yourself :p).

I let my cats have one whole quail egg each once a week. It's much smaller than a chicken egg, so I feel like it's perfectly portioned. Whenever they get chicken eggs though (couple times a month), I just give them the yolk. It's just my personal preference that they not get as much egg white as a chicken egg contains.

I hope that helps! I'm not sure if there's any reason they shouldn't have half an egg yolk every day (if there is I hope someone else will speak up), but I'd personally cook or toss the egg white. Or make some omelets :wink

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I believe egg yolks are fairly rich in biotin, so feeding whole raw eggs helps balance out the concerns about avidin in the whites, however I'm not 100% sure how much how often is safe.

The downside to egg yolks is high cholesterol, but I think 1/2-1 would probably be fine.

There's a pretty detailed article on raw eggs here that you might find helpful: Answers: Feed My Cat a Raw Egg Yolk?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts