Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my cat Dub two servings of wet food per day and she has biscuits and water at all times...but I remember with my last cat, my vet advised me to only feed her wet food once a day, but I can't remember at what age he said to do it?

I'm just conscious of her getting lardy, as she is neutered, and I don't want her getting overweight, as this obviously causes other health problems.

And what routine do you have for feeding your cat(s)?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jegga, this can be a very complex question.

What's good for someone elses cats might not be right for yours.

Both dry and wet food can be great for your cat. A lot is dependant on the brand, and what products they use, as well as how you feed it.

Is your cat over weight, or has he been doing fine?

You can speak with your vet about this concern and find out what they think.

Here, my gang gets high grade dry food 2x a day, and a little high grade supplimental wet food every 2-3 days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's not overweight now, but I want to make sure I am not overfeeding...I am following the guidelines set out by the RSPCA, but I guess I'm interested to know if there's an age that they start needing less food, as my last vet told me there was.

But if it's different for every cat, I think the best thing I can do is take your advice and ask my vet...ta for the reply

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Jegga, I free feed my cats dry food and give some canned food once a day. Canned food is less fattening, according to Dr. Jean. Sometimes, as a cat gets up in years and does not run around as much he has a tendency to put on weight.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Canned is less fatty? I had no idea...

I usually buy Moby canned Whiskas (lower quality I know) old age stuff, mainly because I assume it's lower fat and plus it's the gravy kind. Maybe I should feed it once or twice a week? I only feed him it rarely right now - I have it as a safety for when I run out of dry.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
cat food

Not less fatty, less fattening! Dry food contains a high proportion of carbohydrates. Because a cat is physiologically adapted to eat a high fat, high protein diet (think Atkins!), carbs are the culprit in most weight gain. Canned food contains few carbs usually 10% or less, while dry foods tend to be about half carbs. The high moisture content in canned food is also beneficial to the kidneys and bladder, and reduces the chance of stones.

I recommend feeding mostly canned food--at least 50% of the diet, and certainly every day. It's got better quality ingredients and is much more like the cat's "natural" diet, such as mice, birds etc. If you want to feed some dry as a treat, that's okay, but don't leave it out all the time Having dry food out all the time is like leaving a lot of ice cream in my freezer--too much temptation! A lot of cats will eat from boredom or competition and tend to put on the pounds that way. Feed in meals, a maximum of an hour 2-3 times a day. That way they can't nibble and pig out 24 hours a day. If you haven't seen the nutrition articles in our free article library, please feel free to browse! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
220 Posts
since I free-feed my menagerie, I do not have a problem with overweight cats. If you want to free feed them without overfeeding, then you can purchase a cheaper brand of dry food- something they are not fond of, since they will not pig-out on it. Also, I feed them a little canned food at least once a day, by mixing it in with their normal dry. Cats will not normally eat until they are fat, provided they have room to run and play chase and ambush with each other. Also, it has been noticed that their eating habits has a lot to do with the season of the year, by eating much in the Autumn and then eating little in the late Spring and Summer. Usually I can tell when it is going to become very cold outside by how much they eat especially during the Winter months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: cat food

drjean said:
I recommend feeding mostly canned food--at least 50% of the diet, and certainly every day. It's got better quality ingredients and is much more like the cat's "natural" diet, such as mice, birds etc. If you want to feed some dry as a treat, that's okay, but don't leave it out all the time Having dry food out all the time is like leaving a lot of ice cream in my freezer--too much temptation! A lot of cats will eat from boredom or competition and tend to put on the pounds that way. Feed in meals, a maximum of an hour 2-3 times a day. That way they can't nibble and pig out 24 hours a day. If you haven't seen the nutrition articles in our free article library, please feel free to browse! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Thanks for this, extremely helpful, I think that's where I'm def going wrong, as I buy the whiskas buiscuits which have lots of carbs...Dub might not like it, but the biscuit bowl is now only for meal times :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts