Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted my first cat and he's coming off cat flu. While he was really sick, there were a couple days he didn't eat much at all. Since then he seems to be doing much better and his appetite's increased a ton.

I've read anywhere between 6-10oz of canned food is normal depending on the cat. He's been eating 9-12 oz for the past 2-3 days and seems voraciously hungry. He's a pretty thin ~1.5 year old by the way.

I'm relieved he's eating, but I'm wondering if he's eating too much or if it's normal given the circumstances.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I think it's "normal given the circumstances". He's making up now for what he missed when he wasn't eating much. Most cats, tho there are always exceptions, tend not to overeat, whereas dogs will often do so. I did have a "Mr. Piggy" once who didn't have a stop button on his appetite and if there was any food to be eaten, he would eat it. He had to be fed a specific quantity twice a day, with only a few treats, and had to be isolated from my other cats during feeding time until they finished their meal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts