Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
My cat is the greatest. I have noticed that she is putting on a bit of weight in quite a short amount of time and she is so active. I fed her iams, but have switched to purina cat chow. I also feed her fancy feast moist food as well. I feed her a 1/2 a small can twice a day and for hard food i leave her about 2 cups in a bowl which she grazes on throughout the day as i work long hours and can not feed her soft food as regularly as i would like. I am in canada in a small town, and need to know what kind of food is the best for my cat that I can buy here. I heard fancy feast is ok but that purina is not that great. How much should i be feeding my cat to keep her trim and in shape. I don't want her to become overweight. Her fur looks greats and she seems healthy, its just the weight gain i am concerned about. Could it be all the bugs she eats outside that is making her gain weight as well..
Any suggestions, would be great..

cynthia

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I would recommend a high-quality diet of canned food for your kitty. If she has great fur now, wait till you've had her on a good canned diet for a couple weeks. You won't even recognize her. :lol: Plus, if she's fed the right amount, she won't get overweight. Her weight will tell you how much she needs to be fed. How much does she weigh? I see you work long hours and that's OK. You can feed her two meals a day, one just before you leave and one right when you get home. :)

Good brands of food include Wellness, Innova, and Felidae. You can get Nutro Natural pouches at your local Petsmart. Nutro isn't as good as the other three, but it's less expensive and readily available, plus it blows Purina, Iams, and Fancy Feast right out of the water. Other people might have suggestions of good brands of food as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I give Peaches Wellness canned and dry food in a 60/40 ratio. She looks great and has nice shiny fur. I sometime include canned foord from
'Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul and Wysong.
During the weekends I treat her with a can of Tuna.

Summer

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi Summer,
I know you said it's a treat on the weekends, but just incase you didn't know I just wanted to tell you that Tuna is very bad for cats. They really shouldn't have it at all. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi AddFran,
Yes I know its bad in terms of not providing adequate nutrition and also making them addicted to Tuna. Anything else besides this?
I give her one can in a week so I thought that it was not too bad.. but if there is something else that I do not know, I will stop.

Thanks !
Summer

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hope you don't mean you feed her a *whole can* of tuna every week!

Tuna (and other fatty fish including salmon). prevents the body from absorbing fat-soluble vitamins, can cause a painful disease called steatitis because of Vitamin E deficiency, and causes urinary tract problems in a lot of cats. It is also a common allergen. Tuna are predatory fish and as such can accumulate large amounts of heavy metals and other toxins in their tissues from feeding on other fish.

So, as a VERY occasional treat, in very small amounts, tuna is okay. My gang got a little tuna juice this morning, in fact. But I would limit it to a spoonful per week at the most.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Tuna does not have taurine in it and cats that eat tuna fish regularly can develop heart problems. I've also heard that tuna contains substances (allergens) that stimulate allergic-like disorders in cats.

Body oils in this fish can act as magnets and rob cats of nutrients they do get from their regular food. Tuna can cause inflammation of the fatty tissue and cause long term health effects.

Also Tuna seems to be addictive to cats, so down the line you could end up with a cat who will refuse to eat anything but Tuna.

Mercury, frequently present in tuna, also presents a potential danger. You should steer clear of all fish in general actually (which I didn't know until I came here to the forum). It can be toxic to cats.

It just doesn't seem worth it to feed Tuna for a treat if it's potentially harmful to your cat. Ya know?

Edit: I was typing at the same time Dr. Jean posted. Some of this may seem repetitive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes I do give her a 3oz can of Tuna every weekend. I did know that it is deficient in Vitamin E, but nothing else beyond that. Guess its time to stop.
Thanks to all for the advice!
Summer

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Maybe I'm the only one that noticed... but did you mean two CUPS of dry food a day? As in two eight ounce cups? That seems like an awful lot of extra food to be feeding in addtion to canned. My cat is 9lbs and I think it suggests to feed around 2/3 of a cup a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts