Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a guideline on how much water a cat should have per day?

Toby has no interest in water, other than emptying the bowl by splashing it out or dropping his toys in it.

He gets mostly canned, with only 1/4 cup of dry about 3-4 times a week.

I add about 1/3 cup of water to his canned, which he gets twice a day. Do you think this is enough water on a daily needs?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
That should be more than enough water. A vet once told me that an adult cat should take in 1/2 c. of water daily, which includes the moisture in his food. Of course, if you're feeding kibble, you're LOSING dietary moisture, so your cat needs extra water on the days you feed kibble.

Laurie

·
Registered
716 Posts
My cat gets all canned food w/ occasional raw, and the only time i see him drink is right after he eats. He will take a little sip to wash his food down but that is it. I would think that since you are adding water to his food he is getting all the moisture he needs.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
If a cat eats canned or raw, the owner should really only see the cat drink from a bowl rarely. I would worry if I noticed my cats drinking much.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cats need a certain amount of calories and protein. If you are adding water to canned food you are diluting the calories so the cat needs to eat more to make up for it otherwise you get muscle wasting and weight loss. Canned food has a lot of water so a cat will drink a lot less. I would stop putting water in his food.

Kathy

·
Registered
8,965 Posts

So I can eat donuts for breakfast but if I drink enough water with them the calories will be diluted?

Adding water won't hurt your cat.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
I add water to my girls' food because they eat so fast. They all drink water, but it can't hurt.

But now that I know it dilutes calories, I'm adding water to my lasagna, pizza, apple fritters.........

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cats need a certain amount of calories and protein. If you are adding water to canned food you are diluting the calories so the cat needs to eat more to make up for it otherwise you get muscle wasting and weight loss. Canned food has a lot of water so a cat will drink a lot less. I would stop putting water in his food.

Kathy
This would really only be true if you are measuring your portions per meal. Let's say you give your cat 3 meals a day and 2 tablespoons per meal. Your cat would be getting more calories per meal if you scooped directly from the can as opposed to dumping the contents into a bowl, mixing in water and then scooping out 2 tablespoons.

If your cat eats an entire can per day, then he gets the same amount of calories whether you add water or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts