Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few quick pieces of background info -- previously I've always fed only dry, continuous feeding with my cats. So, trying to figure out how much to feed is new to me. I recently lost my last senior cat and now have two 15-week old babies. I'm trying to transition to wet-only based on what I read here. Finally, my babies are still confined to the laundry room for at least one more week based on their diagnosed giardia.

Ok, so I'm not changing anything from the breeders until they're past the Giardia. At that point it will be almost time for them to be neutered/spayed, so I probably won't change anything until they're fully recovered. I just don't see the point of further stressing them out with new food, litter, or anything. The breeder was giving them Nutro Max Kitten Chicken/Liver flavor (which they LOVE).

The can (3.5 oz) says one can per pound of body weight per day. The babies are approx 2 lbs each. Each time I open a can, I split it into two dishes, and they pretty much go to town on it. Should I really be giving them 4 cans a day between them? That seems like a lot, but judging by how they devour what I'm giving them now, I guess it's not.

On days when we're both out of the house for hours at a time, I'm still putting down a little Royal Canin Baby dry food as that's what they're used to from the breeder's. Given the choice (thank goodness) they choose wet instead of dry every time. They love the wet food.

Until I find something conclusive on how long wet food can sit out or get an automatic feeder, I'm hesitant to leave extra wet food to get them through the day while we're at work.

Yesterday we were both home all day and the babies started crying around 7 pm. They don't normally cry -- unfortunately, they seem to have resigned themselves to their quarantine :( DH went in to check on them and said that he thought they were crying because they were hungry. I'd last fed them around 2 or 3 pm. So I fed them another can of wet and they DEVOURED it. I felt bad, like I should have been feeding them more frequently. Up until yesterday, I was feeding them 3 cans a day between them, but perhaps that's not enough. I don't want to starve my new babies!

Before you answer, please keep in mind that this is a total mindset change for me to go from years of dry constant feeding to even including wet at all in a cat's diet, so, while I'm far from perfect, I'm trying!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You are doing great! It's hard to really judge how much food to feed growing kittens and the feeding guides are usually pretty generous. You need to go by your kittens, if they are devouring then they may need more food. Basically kittens are allowed to eat as much as they can until about a year but the amount varies greatly with each cat. so feed 2 cans each(divided over 3 meals) as the guide suggests, and adjust from there. Canned food can stay out for a couple hours as long as it's not super hot in your house.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Kittens are a little bit more tricky than adults because they are still growing. You are supposed to give them as much as they want until their growing slows down around 8 months to a year. With wet food you can't just leave it down constantly. So my advice would be to give them 3-4 meals a day (or more) however much they will eat in one sitting. When they stop eating clean everything up and wait until the next meal. Eventually you'll figure out about how much they eat at each meal.

An adult cat would eat about 6 ounces a day (so two of your little cans), so eventually you'll get them down to that, but not until they appear to be full grown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts