Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 13 week old kittens and i have really no idea how much I'm supposed to be feeding them!
What I've been doing is 1/4 cup wellness core each around 8am which they dont finish completely. There's always just a few kibbles left which I leave and they end up coming back to a little later on. Then around 5pm they get about an ounce of canned food each (mostly wellness and natures variety) and then another ounce of canned food around 10pm. The canned food is always completely gone within minutes!
They are growing like crazy and are very active. But every time somebody walks into the kitchen they get attacked by 2 little kittens that think they are starving! One of them sits there and "cries" like crazy while the other will climb you right up to the counter.
I would like to give the dry food only once every other day as i know its not good for them but we go out of town twice a month overnight, gone for about 20 hours, so i want to keep it in their rotation so they will eat it while we are gone.
I tried them yesterday on all canned food but they seemed even more starving then usual. Instead of just one ounce I gave them both 1.5 ounces at each meal but it didn't seem to satisfy them.
Should I be giving them more then this or do they just really like food?

Also the only big (13.5oz) cans of food my pet store carries is wellness but not the kitten formula which only comes in 3oz cans. Do they have to eat the kitten formula of wellness or am I okay to feed them the normal stuff? It's so much more cost effective. The 13.5 oz can cost me$3.19 while the 3oz can costs $1.69. I can only get natures variety instinct in 5oz cans and it costs $2.29-$2.99 depending on what kind I get. I would love to be able to have most of their diet from the big wellness cans then supplement with others just to add variety.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
If possible, get rid of the kibble completely.

Offer them canned 4 times a day and give them as much as they'll eat in a 10-15 minute period.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Growing kittens should be fed as much as they want to eat. They need all of those extra calories both for growth and to sustain their wild and crazy play. Food generally doesn't need to be portioned until kits are 9-12 mos old, when they have achieved most of their adult size.

Wellness canned should contain adequate nutrition for kittens. You may also want to rotate in EVO canned, which is an all-stages food.

Laurie

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Agree with the above but want to add that unless you're in Canada or someplace with an extremely high cost of living like New York City...the prices you're paying are seriously high. I own a store and sell large cans of Wellness for $2.45. So you might want to shop around a bit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Haha, I just knew Melissa is in Canada! The price listed are exactly what I see in my local pet store =D

Do you have GlobalPetFoods store in your area? They carry EVO. The price of Wellness is also lower (by 20c?) there if you buy in bulk (12 cans).

·
Registered
716 Posts
It is my understanding that the kitten formula is more rich in nutrients. This is just my opinion, but if you are buying the adult formula to save money, they will need to eat more of it to get the nutrients they need, and so you aren't really saving money. I buy the big (13.2 oz) cans of EVO

EVO Turkey & Chicken Formula Canned Cat and Kitten Food

its formulated for kittens. and, even with shipping it's only about 2.30/can, which is much less than you are paying now. Can you get someone to feed and check on the cats when you are away? It really would be much better to completely get rid of the kibble. Also, they make timed feeders that contain icepacks for canned food. Although if you are going to be gone for more than a day I would still have someone check up on them.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ah, canada. Sorry :) i don't know if most places will ship to canada

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You shouldn't feed a kitten cat food with adult formula, but all stage formula is good to go. I've only gave my cats 3 cans of kitten food for their entire kittyhood and they grow up fine :)

And 13oz EVO for 2.30/can w/ shipping is an impossible price to get in Canada, at least in Ontario and BC. You would consider yourself lucky if you can get a price below 2.80/can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't order online (no credit card) and i have a pet value close by, but anything else is at least 90 minutes away.

So should I be giving them a small can each and let them eat it all if they want it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Do the stores near you have wellness core? That is an all life stages cat food, and it comes in the 5.5 oz. size

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Pet Valu sells Nature's Variety Instinct which is grain-free. From what I know, labeling it kitten food vs adult food is just a gimmick. In the wild, there's no distinction. I believe they also sell Wellness Core too.

If you're really feeling up to it, you can also try the raw diet. Check out the raw sub-forum for some info.

But yes, kittens should be fed as much as they can eat since they're growing and jumping around. That takes energy!

Also having a high frequency of meals like 4 times a day is good too. They can't take so much in one sitting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been mostly buying natures variety instinct but at $2.29-2.99 for a 5oz can, its just getting too expensive. The only larger size cans (13oz) my store carries is wellness but I've been staying away from it because it doesn't say kitten or all life stages.

I have looked into raw feeding but at this point in my life I just don't have the time and the energy to put into it. I have given them some raw chicken breast and chicken wings, usually once a week, just so there used to it and if the time comes when im ready to switch to a full raw diet, then I shouldn't have a hard time with the transition.

Instead of measuring out there portions, I will for now on be just letting them eat until they stop.

I can feed them 4 times a day for most of the week but i am gone from 8-4 twice. Would it be okay to feed them only 3 times on those days?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts