Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant post anywhere else. My cat is roughly 10-15 pounds.How much should a 5.5oz can last? i was gonna feed a can a day. :-|

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's no one right answer to this. It varies depending on your cat's age, activity level, what type of food (you said can so I'm assuming wet, but do you also leave out dry and do you give treats?) and it's contents (high carb or heavier on protein?) you're feeding, or if you're trying to maintain weight or need to lose or gain weight. Can you give some more information about your cat and what you're feeding?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no one right answer to this. It varies depending on your cat's age, activity level, what type of food (you said can so I'm assuming wet, but do you also leave out dry and do you give treats?) and it's contents (high carb or heavier on protein?) you're feeding, or if you're trying to maintain weight or need to lose or gain weight. Can you give some more information about your cat and what you're feeding?

He is on all dry at the moment.Hes pretty active and is around 2 years old. He needs a little more weight but not much.I havent bought any wet food yet,I have been reading that its better to get a cheap wet food and a more quality dry?Thats what I am trying to do,or if I can,just feed him wet.

·
Registered
804 Posts
In that case I'd say go with 5.5 oz a day and watch the cat's weight to see if it goes up or down, and adjust accordingly. My cat is 11 lb and a bit overweight; right now she gets about 5 oz a day (I get a 13.2 oz can of EVO 95% and try to divide it into five portions, then she gets fed once in the morning and once at night) because when I was giving her a quarter can twice a day she was gaining weight... I'm still trying to figure out the right amount.

·
Registered
201 Posts
He is on all dry at the moment.Hes pretty active and is around 2 years old. He needs a little more weight but not much.I havent bought any wet food yet,I have been reading that its better to get a cheap wet food and a more quality dry?Thats what I am trying to do,or if I can,just feed him wet.
Thanks, that's helpful. He should be getting towards the higher end of 25-30 calories per pound of his body weight, so if he's at 15 lbs, he's going to need approximately 450 calories a day or 7.2 oz on the high end. If he's closer to 10 lbs you can probably get away with a 5.5 oz can a day but depending on what's in it, your cat may still feel hungry.

I absolutely agree that cheap wet is better than anything dry, but your cat is looking for protein, and cheap food is cheap because it has more carbs. So despite the calories your cat may try to convince you he's still starving because he wants protein. You may have to look at three small pouches or cans a day, or just let him know that all his begging and pleading will not get him more food. Does he go outside? If he does he'll probably supplement his diet with his hunting prowess, although there's downsides to being an outdoor cat, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts