Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 week old kitten and I like to visit my family about once a month. They live an hour and a half away from me. Is it bad to take my kitten with me every time I visit? Is it bad to travel that often with a kitten?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't see any reason it would be bad for the cat, that's not very far to go. Just get the cat accustomed to the car gradually so that they are not afraid. This might take a little time, but the sooner you start with a kitten the better. Start out with the car not moving, and play with the kitten and offer treats for about 5 minutes a day. Then, start giving the kitten his meal once a day in the car. All of this without going anywhere.

Then if he is comfortable with eating in the car, try turning the car on and see how he does with it idling.
Once he is comfortable with that, only drive it a few yards and come back.
And so on. Don't move to the next stage until the kitten is comfortable with the stage you are working on.
And until he is comfortable riding around in the car with you, don't take him to visit. Let him get to be OK with the car first, so he doesn't have a bad experience and not want to go with you after that.

Some cats travel all the time with their owners in RVs. I see it all the time on road trips, and the cats look perfectly content. It's their home.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'd say it's no problem at all. I would suggest that you confine your kitten to a cat-carry crate for travel. The last thing you need is for him to get under your feet while you're driving, or get out the door/window if you need to stop for gas.

At this early age, it will be nothing to train your kitten to travel in the car. Consider taking your kitten with you when you go to the bank or the PO or some place where you will not be leaving him alone in the car in the summer heat. Just driving around the block is beneficial. Frequent short trips are best for training.

When you visit your family, you'll want to be able to confine the kitten perhaps at night or when you all are going out somewhere, so the crate is very useful. Perhaps a large crate that could hold a small litter box at night?

I had a crippled kitten who travelled with me often, and his crate was a homebase for him, he was safe and comfy there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts