Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I probably know the answer to my own question but I need to find and hear any GOOD stories about how old cats can live. My phoebe is 18yrs old and has been my baby for all but the first 4 months. I can't believe how the time has gone. She has been here with and for me for so long I can't imagine my life without her. She has gone from 12lbs to 5lbs in the past 1 1/2 years. I have had her tested for everything and she always checks out normal. She is on a special diet that is Feline A/D from Science diet specially formulated for anorexic cats. She eats all the time, cries for more, tries to eat dog food with only 2 teeth in her mouth. Some weeks she does good the next week she is throwing up everyday, having horrible watery stools, and again loses more weight. She still plays and can bring a tear of joy to my eyes when she crawls up on my pillow at nighttime to rest her head on my cheek.
Is there anyone out there that can give me hope of how old is NOT to old? Any 20+ stories anyone can share or advice on what I can do. If I ever thought she was suffering I would do the right thing, but it is so different day to day I just can't make that hard call yet.

Any advice or stories will be greatly appreciated for myself and my Phoebe.

Thanks,
Melanie

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats are only about a 1 1/2 years old but I have heard cats can live up to twenty something! Which is a long time and I'm sure your kitty has many many more years of life and companionship to give you. I want to know that my cats will be with me at least 18 years!

As far as the weight loss thing, I have no idea why. I hope everything works out for you and your kitty and she gets better! :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
i dont think u should be too worried ladybug7. my neighbour's sister has a cat (mopsy), 20yo and had those same problems from when she was about 16yo. if anything, i'd say its just the old age. apart from the blindness and deafness, mopsy's doing fine so u probably shouldnt have a panic attack over it (pheobe, that is). :wink:
i'm sure she'll live for many more years to come

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
kitty losing weight

Those are very strong symptoms of hyperthyroidism. When was the last time she had her blood tested? Sometimes they'll show up in the normal range for quite a long time, but anything even in the high end of normal should be confirmed by a separate test.

One of my cats became hyperthyroid at 18, and lived to be 20-1/2 after treatment. So there's still hope!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the encouragement...

I took Phoebe in to the vet on Friday morning to have as many tests done as possible to help me and her. I had her blood drawn and they checked to make sure her major organs are still functioning properly and they sent away for her thyroid test. Dr. Amy also thought Phoebe has key symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Well I received the much anticipated phone call at work letting me know that Phoebe's blood work checked out fine except her white blood count was very high. I was given some antiobiotics and we started her on Science Diet ID-Feline for a sensitive stomach. I will find out in a week if there is something going on with her thyroid. For the first time last night we both made it through a full nights sleep and it was heaven to turn over and have her sharing my pillow with me as she has for so many years.

I am amazed at how much my little darling has found such a deep hold on my heart. I just can't imagine my life without her and with a few more prayers maybe this will all be ok. Thanks to everyone for their input in this difficult time.

Melanie

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Melanie, do you know if they did a white blood cell differential to determine what the predominating white blood cells were? This can be important, because you can pinpoint a lot of diseases by examining the white blood cells microscopically. Of course, it could be that she has some sort of bacteria or virus that is causing the high count.
I hope she gets better soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White blood cell differential

I was never told anything to do with this much detail. I will write it down and ask her when she calls with the results of the thyroid test.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My three oldest cats were 23yrs, 22yrs, and 18yrs. All three did develop thyroid problems in their older years but were easily medicated. (daily pills) One of my cats from childhood is still alive with my parents and brothers is also on thyroid medication (she is 17yrs). A cat in britan just died in 2001 at 31yrs old and the world record I beleive is 34yrs. So there is still hope. I hope your vet finds the problem and is able to help. again good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts