Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering how to introduce my 6 month old kitten to a golden retriever? He is a friendly dog, and gets along with other dogs but has never met a cat. My cat has all her claws for protection, but to my knowledge has never been able to associate with a dog except she seems interested in our neighbors dog when we take her outside on her harness but usually keeps her distance. The dog is only coming for the evening, but will be coming once a month generally.

The reason I dont just want to shut one up in a room is because my fiance and i want to get a dog in the next year or so, so we figured while she was young it may be good to keep letting his brother bring the dog over when he comes so she can start to associate with them and in a way grow up with them. His other brother has 2 dogs and they occasionally come over as well, and get along well with other animals but we figured for the first time with my cat we would try 1 dog. Any pointers would be much appreciated? Thanks!:)

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
I have no experience in this area, but here's a link which may help you:

Little Big Cat

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If the dog is only coming for an evening upon occasion, then you won't be able to do a proper introduction. About the only thing you'll be able to do will be to put them together and see how things go. It's sometimes easier to introduce a cat and dog than to introduce two cats. When I adopted Abby, it took months of baby gates before Muffin would accept her. In contrast, I had taken Muffin to my Mom's a few times; my sister also came with her dog, and Muffin didn't have a problem with the dog. They were fine even the first time, which was the first time Muffin had ever seen a dog and the first time the dog had ever seen a cat. They sniffed each other at first and then basically ignored each other thereafter. Also, when I take either of my girls to the vet, they go nuts if there's another cat there, but they could care less if there are dogs around.

Still, I imagine a lot will depend on the particular dog and cat. If your brother's dog is kennel trained, then the first time your brother comes over, he should bring the kennel/crate with him, and put the dog in the kennel when his dog and your cat meet at first, to see how things go. If there's plenty of barking, growling or hissing, it would be a good sign that trying to put the dog and cat together for only an evening is not such a good idea! On the other hand, if they both seem to be ok, you could let the dog out of the kennel...but still on a leash, and take it from there.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
While the Golden is visiting it should be on a leash at all times in the hands of the owner. That way dog will be under control in case it wants to chase cat or be too friendly. Let the cat loose in the room and see how it reacts to the dog, don't force any introduction by bringing the cat to it. It would be better if the cat approaches to put the dog into a "down-stay", so it's lying on the floor and won't appear as big or threatening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts