Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the kittens (both around 5-7 months old, give or take) finally get along, they play fight and snuggle together in their sleep. :p There's no growling/hissing at all and they just get along together very well, in general.

Thing is, I was told by my partner that a close friend of ours needs to get rid of his cat since his young child is heavily allergic to it and the allergy isn't getting any better (apparently he's been holding onto the cat and hoping his child gets better from the allergy for over an year).

The cat is a 6 year old neutered MALE Siamese mix (looks like one of these 'old' /classic' siameses, not the recent breed) and well, I've been talking to my boyfriend and I don't have any qualms into bringing the cat here, since I'm home 24/7 and can give it the attention it needs. The problem are the kittens.

Do you reckon they'd do well with an older addiction to the family? I currently have a 7 month old neutered male and a 5-6 month old spayed female. Both are simple moggies, no mixes or anything I can think of.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I think the kittens will be fine. It's the 6 year old that may be a problem. The kittens are young enough and will likely adapt to anything. Is the 6 YO an only cat at the moment? Older cats tend to be tolerant of kittens but ya never know...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the 6 year old is an only cat. He is currently indoors-only because of danger in the neighbourhood my friend lives in, but he used to be an outoors/indoors cat. My cats are indoors-only and not allowed outside (I do have an harness but they hate it and fear the outside).

Would this be very problematic?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It just depends on the temperament of the older cat. It's better that the older cat is coming into the kitten's territory I would think than the other way around, but definitely do a slow introduction. I would say since the kittens have each other to play with, it should work out just fine. Obviously, the older cat will not be as eager to play as the kittens and they will figure that out quickly. The fact you have plenty of time to supervise them in the initial meetings and so on is great...good luck!

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Do you reckon they'd do well with an older addiction to the family?
Was this intentional or a Freudian slip?

It couldn't hurt to try I suppose. You could bring the older guy in and keep him separated and see how the introduction progresses. If it doesn't work out he'd be no worse off than he was before. Just make sure your friend knows that this might NOT work and that they understand they may have to take kitty back.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I don't think it should be a problem. Just take your time. I brought a 3 YO female home to live with my 9 month old male and it went off without a hitch. The other way can work too. My GF brought home a 4 month old female to live with her 6 YO male and it too was no problem. In both cases they were very quickly inseparable :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
From my experience, the kittens will be fine and will enjoy another playmate. It's the older cat who may not take to them at first. My older ones (at my parents house) tended to hiss as the little ones at first. After a while they adjusted and would play together. They had their moments when they wanted to be left alone, but there were no major issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was this intentional or a Freudian slip?

It couldn't hurt to try I suppose. You could bring the older guy in and keep him separated and see how the introduction progresses. If it doesn't work out he'd be no worse off than he was before. Just make sure your friend knows that this might NOT work and that they understand they may have to take kitty back.

Haha, that was so a slip up. Don't even noticed, but of course, I meant addition. :p

And that's not a problem, since we'll be taking care of the cat but if our friend wants, we'll return the cat at any time. They're prepared to deal with that although they'd prefer not to leave the cat in a shelter. :/

Thank you all. If we do get the cat, I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree. You never know till you try and there's no harm in trying anyway. What's the worse that can happen? If they really don't get along, you'll just have to give him back to your friend. They may even become best friends before you even know it! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts