Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just brought home a new cat from a shelter. She is still scared and timid. I noticed some fleas on her. I was able to apply an Advantage treatment to her, but I know I will need to vacuum and treat the room she is in as soon as possible. I have other pets, but she is separated in one room. How should I go about vacuuming and treating the room without scaring her too much? Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh no! Maybe try calming her down some, and take her outside for a little bit while you clean the room. Vacuums can be scary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That would make sense, but if I take her outside, I'd probably have to put her back in the carrier that she hates. I'm afraid she might run off if I take her out loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fenced in for our dog, but there are areas a cat could easily get through and of course it's raining today. Maybe I can take her out into the car for a while and have my son sit out there with her. I don't think fleas could live in there for long. I have to check to see how long she would need to be out of the room for the flea treatment to be safe.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd crate her in another room away from the room you're treating. Even if she's frightened of the crate, the vacuum would be worse, IMHO. Good luck. They should have treated her at the shelter. Boooo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's actually a good idea. I do have a crate that I forgot about. I can try that. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it has a lid. It's like a dog cage with a door that is enclosed on all sides. Large enough for a medium sized dog so there should be enough room for her to be comfortable in there for a little while. I just may have to wait until tomorrow when it's not raining since outside is probably better than risking the fleas entering another room.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Afte you have treated her just put her in a bathroom as far away as possible while you vacuum the room. My new stray years,ago had so many I could see them crawling on him thru his thin malnourished fur. After treatment dead ones were lined up in the sliding door tract. You may have to treat her again in a month but it will work out. The fleas will gravitate toward the cat but die there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts