Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prince is a very big cat (14lb and not fat) and though the litter box is the biggest size, litter spills around the box, then gets carried around the house and I have to sweep the floor all the time in the bathroom. Since I can't afford a closed litter box, anyone any ideas? What do you put under the litter box?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh if I only knew the solution to this problem! I've tried all sorts of litter catchers and nothing works, not even the enclosed litterboxes, which I don't like because I am constantly dipping as I pass by.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Find a cardboard box that is just a little bigger than his litter box and tape the flaps open. Then put it on it's side and put the litterbox inside it. Instant covered litterbox.

Everytime I wash out his litterbox I shake the loose litter out of the cardboard box into the trash.

I rent and don't want him messing up the carpets so I put a flattened box in FRONT of the opening so he has to walk over it on his way out. Then I shake that into the trash as well (it's also come in handy the few times he was sick and didn't qqquiiiitttteeee make it into the liter box).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
(it's also come in handy the few times he was sick and didn't qqquiiiitttteeee make it into the liter box).
That's interesting. Missy dosn't even consider the litterbox when she's sick. (I wish she would.)

I wonder how many other members have cats that use the litterbox for this.

Mow Mow sounds as smart as you claim.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
My cats use a covered box (because one is a big litter kicker), but I use a fluffly bath mat in front that take most of it off their paws. There's a bit of tracking but not nearly as bad without the mat.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I hated that litter all over the house when I first got Tuffy, besides Tuffy has long hair on his paws and would track it all over - I switched to Yesterdays news which is a pellet type litter - MUCH BETTER! And no tracking.

Other than that I don't know that there is much of a solution - unless you have an empty bathtub you can put the litter box in, I have a friend who does that.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rent too and have the same problem with the carpets. But why a flattened cardboard box at the front and not something else? Is it better for wiping his paws? What about nylon, rug, rubber, etc.?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You can buy mats that are made for catching litter on the way out of the litter box - not sure how good they work though - you can get pretty good size ones..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I cut a twin sized egg crate foam mat in half, and I placed that under the litter box. It has lots of little divots that catch most of the litter as the cats are coming out of the box.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
That's interesting. Missy dosn't even consider the litterbox when she's sick. (I wish she would.)

I wonder how many other members have cats that use the litterbox for this.

Mow Mow sounds as smart as you claim.
I meant diarrhea, not vomit. There's been a few times he's raced for the box and not quite made it on time. :p Bless his little heart.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try a Rubbermaid storage bin rather than a standard litter tray, I like the ones that are 24 inches high. And place a rug with a rubberized backing under the litterbox. I like the cheapest bath rugs available. The litter comes off on the rug. These are easy to launder.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you for the ideas, everyone! We (both us and the cats) hate covered litter boxes, but we rent and our kittens (especially Mr. Spencer) just adore kicking their litter outside the box, usually right next to the mat we already have. I want to try getting a biggish bath rug...

·
Banned
952 Posts
I'll never buy a standard litter box again - they're invariably too small and way over-priced. Currently, I'm using two of Sterilite's 110 quart "X-Large Latching Storage" boxes, which are about 34.5" long, 18.75" wide and 12.5" high, filled with 84 pounds of litter each - about 6 inches deep - with a cheap but color-coordinated bath rug in front of each box. Works like a charm for my six kitties and keeps the litter almost 100% contained.

AC

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AC, isn't that too high for them to get in and out?

·
Banned
952 Posts
Not at all, Straysmommy...

Besides, my guys regularly leap to a shelf that's nearly four feet from the floor; if they can do that, they can jump 12.5 inches. *chuckle*

When I fostered, kittens got a box with the same length and width, but half as high and with half as much litter, until they showed me they could make the leap comfortably (usually around five or six months).

AC

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awwww, the models in the ad are lovely!!!

*forgets to look at the box*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts