Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and need some advice. My Simon, an 11 year old Manx, absolutely hates going to the vet. He gets dowright aggressive and will bite the vet and anybody else who goes near him--including me! Therefore the vet has to sedate him. The problem is, Simon does not do well after sedation. He vomits, and is gets almost comatose, and isn't fully himself for days afterward!

My question is this, is there anything I can do to calm him down without having him sedated? I would be interested in any non-medicated alternatives, but I'm not altogether against it. All I want is for Simon to be as calm as possible and prevent injury to the vet and staff. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Kim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi - does Simon get stressed from the moment you put him in the carrier?

One tip I have is to keep his carrier in his favourite room, and put a favourite blanket/toy inside, as well as some treats, so he doesn't automatically associate the carrier with the pain of going to the vet.

Over time, he should go into his carrier a lot more, and hopefully won't get too stressed out.

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
You can spray Feliway according to directions. I also found this suggestion online
: Also, natural calming aids with ingredients like chamomile and kava kava are available at most pet stores.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts