Cat Forum banner

How to catch stray and introduce him to two indoor cats

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MistWolf 
#1 ·
We have a cute stray tabby we’ve been feeding for over a year now. He sleeps right outside in a box we made for him and lets us pet him quite comfortably. However, recently we’ve noticed that he was limping/couldn’t put one foot down properly. It’s been over a week and while it’s gotten better we still wanted to take him to the vet.

Two problems: 1) how do we catch him 2) how do we introduce him to our indoor cats, who aren’t on good terms

My dad tried to pick him up and apparently he didn’t put up much of a struggle but I feel like that could change if we add a carrier to the mix. I want a sure way to catch him or not else we might scare him off, which is the last thing we want. I know there are traps and whatnot but is there a detailed procedure with a 100% success rate?

Next problem is that our indoor cats aren’t on friendly terms. They weren’t introduce properly. The first one really dislikes her sister who is more friendly bc she lived with other cats and dogs before coming to us. When the sister passes by or comes close, the first one growls or hisses, sometimes even hits the sister. We’ve tried reintroducing them to each other but it isn’t easy because our house isn’t that big and the cats venture throughout the space all day.

Should i reintroduce the two cats while introducing them to the new one? How can it be done in a small space?

Any answers are appreciated!!

See less See more
#2 ·
problems: 1) how do we catch him 2) how do we introduce him to our indoor cats, who aren’t on good terms
I would put some treats in the box and slowly he'll trust you again.
When he does get your trust back I would slowly put treats near the door so he gets used to it.
Good luck!

#3 ·
First you'll want to take him to the vet. Mainly to see if he has parasites. To get him in a cage. You can put some salmon or unseasoned, cooked chicken in the cage. I'd suggest reintroducing the two indoor cats first. You can use the scent introduction, (you can find on article on that on Google.) After the two indoor cats are on better terms, you can do the same with the stray. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.