Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in an apartment block and recently found 3 kittens wondering around. I have since found out from a resident that the mother cat was run over on the weekend. Over the last two days I have given the kittens food and water and have even managed to catch one of the kittens and take it to the local vet to be put up for adoption however I would also like to catch the remaining two only thay are timid and wont allow me to get close enough to touch them. I would really like to get them some help and would value any advice given to give these little guys a chance.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi! Thanks for trying to help the kittens..........their should be more people like you :) Have you contacted a local humane society or rescue to see if they have any traps? Often they will let you borrow one for free, and I have heard they work really well :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your prompt response.

I have now contact the local RSPCA and local council and have arranged to get some traps.

Hoepfully they wont have to spend another evening out in the cold.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Thank you for helping these kittens -wondering about on their own is not only not easy but also extremely dangerous . I am so sorry that their mother got run over ...
Do you have any idea how old the kittens are? The traps might not work for them if they are too small. Plus I have always found it easy to catch little kittens without traps. You have to be careful however because they might want to escape/scratch/bite.
First of all if they are too small and you feel confident you can do it without traps here are some tips. Wear gloves - just for precaution. Small kitten bites or scratches have never hurt me much but it is never too much to take a chance. Have towel/s ready to wrap them in if they are too wild and box or cage(preferably since it would be easier for them to escape the box) where you can put them after having caught them.
As for catching them here is what I do - I play dead or stay in hiding right where their food is and when they are right they're eating I simply pick them up - having a good hold of them (without hurting them). It is easier when is dark and one must be quiet ;). If you could hide behind a large box right next to the food or something that you can previously place there so they get used to it - that would be a great hiding place very close to the kitties. Do not let them go and quickly wrap them in the towels. Then gently place them in the cage. Make sure they don't escape. It is not going to be impossible to catch them - if they are hungry enough - but it is certainly going to be more difficult to catch them a second time.
If you are going to use traps use the directions I have given to another member of the forum :
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7297
Best of luck and let us know if you were successful in catching them quickly -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

What you have outlined is exactly what I did to catch the 1st one.
The vet said that they could be 8-9 weeks old and have def been weaned. The 2 remaining are smaller in size. I already have a cat box ready and warm blankets that I carry with me. Im pretty sure that they sense that something is going on since thier brother has gone missing and this in turn makes them weary. My fear is that I will only catch one and the other will disappear into the night and I worry that one will not be able to survive on its own.

As soon as I finish work I will get home, change and camp out in the garden with food and hopefully gain their trust as I am also certain that they have had no human interaction before.

It is amazing though how many people who also live in my block have no desire to help these poor innocent creatures (babies). Very sad indeed.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Some people have the feeling that animals can look after themselves and we just don't know it. They don't understand that animals are vulnerable and especially when we are referring to babies. And not only - the result is the tragic death of their mother. Or other people don't have the drive to help them ..but others like you do and I am grateful for that.
I strongly hope you can lay your hands on both babies so none of them would suffer. I do hope that even if you catch only one the other one - when hungry will return to the place where to food is - you.
Please keep posting -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI,

Just wanted to let you know that I didnt have much luck last night or this morning. I stayed out with them for an hour and gave them food and watched them hoping that they will get used to me talking to them and being there. I also got up and went out at 6am with more food and only one came out to see me.

I will keeping trying and hopefully my persistance will pay off.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thank you for keeping us posted as well. Try some strong smelling canned food - they might find it hard to resist. I will keep you in my thoughts - hopefully you will catch them soon !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts