Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an avatar of my cat and I happily went to upload it. It was 100 x 100 pixels and I made it on Paint, so I assumed that it would be fairly small. However, it told me that the file was 24 KB! How can I change the file size of my avatar? It is 100px x 100px, originated from a photo of my cat that was resized and given a border on MS Paint, and saved in .PNG format.

·
Super Moderator
26,517 Posts
I use resizr.com, but make sure you save it to your computer, if you upload from that site, it will disappear in a few hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That made it go up from 24 KB to 25. o.o; I'll just have to save it in something besides .PNG, I suppose. Thank-you!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
PNGs are a lossless file format, which means they retain a higher quality than some other file formats, but the file size is typically bigger.

For simple web things like message board avatars, JPEG generally works best. This is a lossy file format so the quality of the image may be reduced slightly (although some programs like Photoshop let you control the quality and compression amount for varying quality/size options) but the file size will be smaller.

Generally the quality loss on things like avatars or other images displayed for web when saved as jpegs isn't too noticeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I saved it as .PNG instead of .JPEG because of the blurry pixels. I resaved it as a .JPEG file, though, so it works fine (aside from the blurry pixels annoying the heck out of me). I may attempt to edit it a bit on Photoshop and see if I can make the .JPEG version have a less blurry appearance.

Thank-you! <3

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Once it's been compressed as a JPG you won't be able to improve the quality, but if you still have the PNG you can resave that as a JPG and adjust the compression level when saving if you have Photoshop.

In Photoshop, go to File>Save for Web... and use that method instead of the normal save. This lets you play with a few more options that will help dramatically reduce file size while still retaining pretty decent image quality. They also have a few preset options for all file types that you can use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts