Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guesstimate the age of a cat by looking at them? I noticed that when I asked my vet how old my newest kitten is he looked at her teeth. How is this done? I was wondering if I could determine the age of my oldest kitty by looking at her teeth. All I know is I've known her for at least six years.

- koneko

·
Registered
755 Posts
There is no way to really tell a cat's age after they lose their baby teeth and all the permanent teeth are grown in (about 6 months.) However, by looking at a few things you can make a guess of the age. First you can look at the teeth. Check if there are any teeth missing or the condition they are in. Younger cats have whiter teeth that look pearly while cats with wore teeth are usually older. However, this is not always the case, a old cat might have perfect looking teeth where as a young cat can have rotten teeth. You could also take a look at your kitty’s eyes. Older cats eyes look cloudy and can have cataracts. Usually if they do, there older then 12 or so years. And finally, just look at your cat. Younger kitties have more muscles and are in better shape. Well I hope this helped and good luck with finding the age of your cat :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts