Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is overweight, I believe he is about 17-23 pounds(I will weigh him later), and I would like to put him on a diet to lose some of it.

He is not very active, and I know Im supposed to try my hardest to get him to exercise more, and I will. But food wise, I don't know how to diet him. It only occurred to me a few days ago that he needs a diet, before that I knew he was chubby, but I think there's a difference between chubby and border line obese. He has been put back on canned food as raw is too much a hassle. He eats performatrin(which is an O.K food, not great, not bad). If you know of a food that is grain free, low ash, low mag. and in the same price range, a link to it and a price would be great :).

Im not sure if this has to do with anything, I actually don't know what kcal is but the kcal is 223 kcal/can or 1430 kcal/KG.

He will NOT eat any diet food of any brand. I've tried a few weight control formulas and he wont even go near them.

How much should I feed him? Any suggestions, raw is not an option right now, but all suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The difference between 17 and 23 pounds is huge when it comes to a cat, so you need to know exactly what he weighs. You also don't say how much you're feeding him per day.

A good starting place is to calculate the calories he needs based on a standard formula...20-25 calories per pound for maintenance. Since you say he's a slug, let's go with 20. Then to achieve weight loss, reduce the number of calories by 10-15%. So...for example, if he weighs 20 lbs:

20lb x 20 cal/lb = 400 calories per day for maintenance.
400 - 15% = 340 calories per day.

Based on the calories per can you listed, he should not be eating more than 1.5 cans per day. Of course, cats, just like humans all have different metabolisms and that might still be too much for him...so that's why knowing the amount you have been feeding will be helpful.

Also, make sure that you check the calories per can of all the flavors you feed...they can vary significantly.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
In addition to Doodlebug's excellent advice, I recommend you purchase an accurate scale (a digital baby scale works well), and start weighing your cat every two weeks. Chart his weight so that you can see how it changes from weigh-in to weigh-in. When I was taking weight off of my feline fatties, I wanted to see weight loss of .2-.4 lb every two weeks. Any cat who lost less than .2 lb in two weeks got a small decrease in food portions. Any cat who lost more than .4 lb in two weeks got a small increase in food portions.

It's very important that feline weight loss occur slowly and steadily, because rapid weight loss may trigger a potentially fatal liver disease. Regular weigh-ins allow you to make food portion adjustments to insure safe, slow, and steady weight loss.

Laurie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Doodlebug's calculation looks about right from what I know. I just wanted to add the caveat not to drop the weight off of him too quickly. He shouldn't lose more than 3 ounces a week (given a 17 pound cat) since cats do not process their body fat very efficiently. If they drop weight too quickly you run the risk of causing fatty liver syndrome, which can be life threatening.

Get a baby scale so you can weigh in pounds and ounces, scales for adult humans are not sensitive enough to weigh cats accurately, and weigh him weekly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One thing I didnt see mentioned here, was i suggest not free feeding. I got my fatty cat to go from 20 to 16 pounds over 8 months give or take. I just reduced what I was feeding him by a small amount and started feeding him in intervals. He gets 1/3 of his food at 8 (before work), 5 (after work), and 11 (bed time). He learned really quick when food time was. This method prevented him from over eating and me giving in to him begging for more food when he ate all his food in his bowl. I also have multiple cats so free feeding was probably part of the issue . he ate the others food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.