Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live just outside of Baltimore, MD and I am having a heck of a time finding a vet that I like. I "like" my current vet. He is really kind and gentle, but he also declaws cats and recommended Science Diet. Am I being too picky?? I would love to find a vet that doesn't declaw and that knows a lot about feline nutrition. Does anyone live in MD and have a vet they recommend?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I would google holistic vets and start looking at their web pages. I narrowed mine down by looking at vets who also offered holistic services. That led me to the current vet.

Right on their web page it talked about feeding a raw diet and how they don't encourage owners to feed kibble. I went down without the cats to interview them and we talked about food, declawing and health issues and I liked them right away.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I found mine using Yelp. She's the best vet I ever had. She tells me to feel free to call whenever I have a concern and she gets back to me that day and spends time with me on the phone. I'm not as crazy about the other vets at the practice and since she doesn't work every day, I sometimes get them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm stuck at the vet I have now because they have a partnership with the Shelter I got my cat at. They are attentive, but they also want to run 10,000,000 tests on my cat that I deem unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I find it hard to find a good vet. I've finally found a practice that I love - we've seen 3 different vets there now and all have been great but we're moving in a few months so I'll have to try to find a new vet closer to the new place that I like as much as these guys. Sigh.

I'm stuck at the vet I have now because they have a partnership with the Shelter I got my cat at. They are attentive, but they also want to run 10,000,000 tests on my cat that I deem unnecessary.
If you're paying for the services you don't have to stay with that particular vet do you? Both Jett and Meeka have been part of adoption programs. I was working at a vet when I got Meeka so all she had done at the vet they specified was her de-sexing. I tried out the vet that Jett's adoption was through for his second vaccination last month and I wasn't overly keen on them so he'll be going to the vet I really like for the next vaccination then back to the specified one for his de-sexing.
I figure if you're going to be paying for a service, you should at least be happy with the way they do things.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I live just outside of Baltimore, MD and I am having a heck of a time finding a vet that I like. I "like" my current vet. He is really kind and gentle, but he also declaws cats and recommended Science Diet. Am I being too picky?? I would love to find a vet that doesn't declaw and that knows a lot about feline nutrition. Does anyone live in MD and have a vet they recommend?

Hello from Frederick! I'm in a similar situation.... I chose Josie's vet because they are 5 minutes from home and several neighbors gave them high marks. The very first visit I was impressed.... but the last two times I was not. Disappointed, actually. I take my dogs to another vet about 15 minutes farther away and I generally like them, but they do seem a bit old-fashioned/traditional on some issues. There is also a cat-only vet about 25 minutes away who I'm also considering switching to. I don't know anyone who goes there, however, but their website gives good information and they seem on top of things. I wish they were a little closer to make the trips less stressful for Josie.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find a great vet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts