Cat Forum banner

how to get a cat to eat good food???

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kitkat 
#1 ·
My roomate and I each have a cat. Problem is, we feed them different foods. She leaves out a grocery store food for her cat, whereas I have been trying to give my cat Felidae. She eats it sometimes, but the Friskies must taste better because more often than not I catch her munching on that. When I catch her doing this I pick her up and take her to her food and try to encourage her to eat that, but I know she eats the other stuff when I'm not there. I got some samples of Natural Balance but her reaction to that is similar to Felidae. I have even tried sprinking a little catnip in with her food but she doesn't really react to catnip so it didn't help.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to coax my kitty to eat the food that is better for her?? :? Once I live out on my own it will be easier because she won't have another option but I will be living with this roomate for another year. I was feeding her Nutro Natural for a while, which she seemed to like better, so I may go back to that but I'd still like to give these other two brands a shot first.
Also, what premium brand cat foods do your cats like? If there is one that is more palatable I would try that, but my options are rather limited where I live and I would need something reasonably priced (i.e., similar to Felidae and NB).
Thanks in advance for any help!!

#2 ·
The girl who recently adopted a foster cat of mine Millie, is having the same problem. She bought Nutro Natural for her cat, but now her room mate has started buying meow mix (both cats free feed) so now Millie is eating both the Meow Mix and the Nutro.

My suggession to you, is to ask her if she would like to switch her cat to felidae, or some other comparible food, that way, you both can split the cost of the bag, you both cats can eat out of each others dishes with out any worries. See if your room mate will be up for this.

Otherwise, if you live together, your room mate needs to respect you, and ask her to not leave the Meow Mix out for her cat all the time, request that she feed in meals, and feed her cat in a room away from your cat (or vice versa). Why should you let your room mate inconvinence you? Come to a compramise together and I'm sure you'll be much happier.

Lots of low grade foods do have many additives, which is basically like sugar coating your cereal, yeah, it does taste better, but we all know a pound of sugar for breakfast isnt' the best idea haha.
Some cats eat enough of foods like Felidae for their daily requirment, it just might seem like too little to you, if you are used to having her on a lower grade brand. But, cats like to nibble, cats like treats, hence her going after the meow mix, a lot of cats do this.
If your cat is not eating enough of the felidae, then it will greatly help her to grow accoustomed to it by making it the only food source availble to her.
You might need to try 3 or so different cat foods to find one she likes the taste of, this is how it normally goes, a lot of cats seem to like the Chicken Soup brand, but others not.
You can also try mixing a little raw or cooked meats in with her felidae, or canned food, just a dab, during her daily feedings to encourage her to eat.

Good luck!

#3 ·
a friend of mine and her roommate have the exact same problem. what they do is feed both the cats at the same time, my friend gives her kitten felidae in her room with the door shut, and the other cats eats his grocery store crap in the kitchen. when they finish, both foods are put away. i think whoever is home feeds both cats.
maybe you can work out a similar arrangement? but i think best would be to get her to feed her cat felidae!

#5 ·
Jen:

As free feeding is generally best for your average cat (those of whom don't become fat on it). Several small meals through out the day what would appear as snacks to us 5-8 times a day.

My schedual does not allow this, and I can not free feed my gang, so they get 2 meals of dry food a day, and a snack in between if I'm home.

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I may try to convince my roomate to switch foods eventually, I was just reluctant since she's had her cat for seven years and I've had mine for four months! :lol: Both she and her cat are a bit set in their ways (free feeding, same food for a long time, plus my roomate is not around very much to begin with) so I'm more worried about inconveniencing her than the other way around. I'm going to try a couple of different foods first, plus I'm finding that even keeping their bowls in separate rooms helps, she's more likely to go to the Felidae if its closer to where she hangs out.

Has anyone ever tried "Tuna for cats" from Trader Joe's? It is just tuna and vitamins. Bella will eat any type of fishy wet food anyway but when I gave her a bit of this she just scarfed it down! I had heard that plain old tuna was not good for them but I didn't really know why, is it just because on its own it is missing certain vitamins?

#7 ·
Tiggs: Have you considered offering to your room mate, that you would feed the cats 2x a day on schedual, so she wouldn't have to worry about it at all. And in exchange for this, both cats could switch to the Felidae ;)

Yes the cat tuna is fine, don't make it a full meal, just an occasional treat now and then. Adding unecissary supliments or vitamins to a cats diet, beyond their COMPLETE regular diet (aka Felidae) can actually be harmfull for them. Because then they might be getting too much of a certain vitamin/mineral each day, and yes, that can cause problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.