Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all :)

So for the time being I transitioned Remus from whatever they were giving him at the shelter to Wellness Core. I would like to feed him at least partially on raw as my ferrets all eat a raw diet. I know S&C is quite pricey so I don't wanna go that route.

The other day, I gave him a bit of organ meat in his dish and he flat out turned his nose up at it. The way I transitioned my ferrets was to give them a bit of S&C with their kibble then just S&C, then I poured a little of the blood/juices from the meat packet and started hiding bits of organ until they eventually just switched. Would that work out for a cat? I know they're smarter and I have no clue how well Remus would take to S&C.

Additionally - is there a place where I can get the ratios of organ, bone-in, and such that a cat needs? I would imagine they're very different to those for ferrets and dogs.

Please and thank you :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health and Feline Nutrition are gonna be your Raw Bibles ;}

https://hare-today.com/raw_food_for_cats is also a good site. Incidentally, I buy all my cat's raw from Hare Today, but it gets expensive in shipping costs :/

How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet - Feline Nutrition will give you some insights and things to try (I was very VERY lucky... I was able to transition my lifelong kibble-addict to a fully-canned, grain-free diet at the age of 14 with NO problems... and then to fully raw with no problems! Soo... I have no "personal" experience or tips/tricks to share, unfortunately.)

The generally-accepted ratio is 80-10-10: 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs. Each protein is going to be a little different, so you have to make some adjustments based on that, and if you're going to go ground meat-bones-organs or frankenprey.

By S&C do you mean Stella & Chewy, the "freeze-dried" raw diet?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Most guidelines from raw feeding websites suggest you go from kibble to canned, then to raw. That's how I got my two to eat raw, but they were kittens, so it was much easier to transition them than a full grown adult cat that's been set to eat dry food only for several years.

I used the pate style canned, added some warm water and used that gravy mixture on top of tiny cuts of raw muscle meats like a chicken thigh. Gradually you add less gravy and add more meats, and make it chunkier cuts. I also added organs in slowly. Too much can give them loose stools, so beware. Too much bone, and you'll get a constipating effect. I also originally used to feed them commercial raw, but it's expensive to continue to doing so, so I switched over to the PMR diet for the most part, to encourage chewing their meat for their dental health.

I use S&C's dinner (freeze dried) as toppers over their raw to get them to eat something new, too. It's expensive, but easy to use in a pinch, and can be reconstituted with water as meals if needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LakotaWolf - Yeah I meant Stella & Chewy. Ferrets are tricky boogers and I figured that'd be the easiest way. Thanks for all the resources though. We tend to buy our meats here locally (as the prices on Hare Today were a bit high~). The ratio seems fairly similar to that of a dog so that's reassuring.

Thanks for your insight, TabbCatt. I'll definitely give that a try. As I said - he's on Wellness Core right now. I figure the crunchy texture is a bit much for him to switch off of so we'll probably try your route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts