Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommates and I adopted a baby male kitten I think is about 8 or 9 weeks old. We have had him for one week now. He tends to spend a lot of time on either their bed while they are sleeping or my bed while I am sleeping. I placed a pillow on the floor of my room so he would be able to sleep on that comfortably but whenever I place him on that pillow, even when he is tired, he goes right off of it. What suggestions do you have for getting our cat to know that this pillow is where I want him to sleep?

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Put the pillow on the bed where it belongs. I guarantee you that he'll sleep on it. Especially if it's been used by you first.

PS - Cats don't like to sleep on the floor...that's for dogs. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that he wakes up every 5 to 10 minutes and bothers you. I can't get sleep like that and neither can my roommates. I understand thats still possible if he sleeps on the pillow he will possibly try to jump on the bed but I want him to learn that his sleeping place is that pillow.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Congratulations on your new kitty!
He's just baby and they don't like sleeping alone. In a perfect world he would still be with his Mom and the rest of the litter, all warm in a kitty ball. They need tons of love, attention and reassurance at that age. I'm with Tim, put the pillow on the bed. :D Having a new kitten is somewhat like having a baby. Not much sleep for awhile.
The only other thing that MIGHT get him off the bed (barring locking him out of your bedrooms :( ) would be to get an actual cat bed or basket and put a hot water bottle in it, under a cozy blanket or towel. But, he'd still rather be with you.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I agree with Nanook. My guy is an only child (cat) and he demands attention. He always sleeps in our bed with us. He just wants to be around you and feel warm. He never sleeps on the floor. He always has to be UP. He has a bed and a cat cube by my bed, but he never sleeps in them. Welcome to the world of cats!
The problem is that he wakes up every 5 to 10 minutes and bothers you.
Maybe you snore? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When he doesn't give you time to fall asleep, you can't snore :lol:

A friend suggested I try catnip on the pillow. While I certainly would be open to the possibility of leaving the pillow on my bed while I sleep, I do need sleep and would hope he would knock out or stay quiet for most of the night. I tried tiring him out yesterday before bed but he just kept getting up.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Cats are nocturnal and he's a baby with a lot of energy.

Try an active play session (20 minutes or so) and then a meal before bed. Maybe leave some additional dry food out for him during the night. But get used to it....he's going to wake you up on a regular basis, it will lessen over time but isn't likely to go away completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts