Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now that I've decided on chaning my big cat's diet to almost exclusively wet food, how can I get him to eat it? He seems to be turning up his nose to what I've offered him. I thought he was enjoying the Felidae when I first brought it home, but now he's somewhat indifferent. He'll eat the dry stuff without much protest. We are feeding him Nutro dry.

Also should mention that his eating habits have changed a bit since my 13-yr. old cat passed away. He used to be ravenous, but now he seems a bit more mellow when it comes to his meals. I'm not sure if this is a sign of grieving or what. His weight has stayed about the same.

I just want to make this a smooth transition, but I'm not sure how to do it!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lisa :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
There is no competition for the food now, so that might mean something. I have to change flavors in the canned food. Just when I think I found one my Blueberry loves. (the fussy eater) he doesn't want it. It's frustrating, but I guess they like a different flavor, not the same old, same old, just like us. I give him Nutrical also.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit better this morning. Jack was eager to eat the Nutro Max Cat canned food I put in his bowl, and ate most of it! I thought I'd try either the Nutro or Felidae. The little one, Tom, loves his canned food, so there's no issue with him!

Also, can anyone tell me more about storage? I know I shouldn't leave wet food out for very long, but can I just put it in the fridge and serve it again at the next feeding (warming it, of course)?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
imatarb said:
Also, can anyone tell me more about storage? I know I shouldn't leave wet food out for very long, but can I just put it in the fridge and serve it again at the next feeding (warming it, of course)?
This is what I do. I don't recommend storing it in the can, though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll put the contents of the can in its own container and serve from there.

I've decided to feed the new kitty on the counter, as the dog will be less likely to 'have a snack' of kitten/cat food. She's terrible when it comes to thieving food from the other pets!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
imatarb said:
I've decided to feed the new kitty on the counter, as the dog will be less likely to 'have a snack' of kitten/cat food. She's terrible when it comes to thieving food from the other pets!
Sabby ate his food on top of my dresser for the first three years of his life because my dog, Leah, would eat all of it if it was on the floor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! That info is helpful...I'll try that tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, I didn't even get a chance to warm the leftovers from this morning, as the little kitty was already in it! I guess he doesn't care if his food is chilled!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And, today seems like Jack is more open to the wet food. Perhaps he just needed to make the adjustment himself. He was practically knocking my feet out from under me tonight when I went to feed him!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It took me two weeks to change from all dry to canned. I'm extremely relieved after the bouts of urinary tract my male has had the last 2 months. I just wish I had researched and found this place sooner

Aaron

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Jack is now on an all-wet diet, and he's loving it! He's eating both Felidae and Nutro Max Cat wet food. I love the fact that the Felidae is for cats and kittens, and since I have a 14-week old, I can feed them the same food without fear of them eating each other's food.

In any event, Jack's coat is beautiful! It's silky and thick, and his eyes seem a bit brighter and he's actually a bit more active. I don't know if it's the combination of having a new kitty companion that chases him around, or the food, but whatever it is, I see a new cat.

I'm sure that the weight loss is soon to follow, so I'll be weighing him soon!

He weighed in around 23 lbs. at his last vet check, so we'll see!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts