Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl has always had an issue with flakes at the base of her tail. When she was little she had some gastrointestinal issues that I believe were an allergic reaction to food, so since December she (and my others) have been on grain-free food, both wet and dry. They get 1/4 c. dry + 1/2 can wet in the morning and another 1/2 can wet in the evening. When I made the switch to grain free, I noticed an improvement, but they never fully went away.

I've tried adding fish oil to their food and they HATE it. They refuse to eat their food if I put it on there. They will drink tuna juice when offered, although I don't know if that offers as much Omega-3's to even be helpful.

Her coat is shiny and her skin is not irritated. She doesn't scratch at herself or chew on her skin. They tend to really surface when I sit down to brush her. Most of the time I don't really see them until then...

I live in Texas so the air is generally pretty moist (yay humidity) but she is a strictly inside only kitty so the air conditioner is on pretty much non-stop from about May-October. It generally stays around 78-80 so it isn't freezing, but I've heard that indoor climates can contribute to dry skin.

Any suggestions on how to combat this issue?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It sounds like stud tail. It is an overproduction of sebum (oils) in the glands at the base of the tail. While more common in intact males, but can also be found in females and neutered males. Treatment usually includes cleaning the area of the excess oils and keeping the area clean and dry. You can also talk to your vet about supplements or topical retinoids. We see it a good bit at the grooming salon, after getting on a regular bath schedule with a degreasing shampoo, it goes away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts