Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aster is a fastidious groomer but Cody is quite the opposite. I usually have to come and use a baby wipe on his bottom after he uses the litterbox. Its been weeks since I saw him grooming his tush..I suspect he may have had a bad experience or 2 cleaning some large dingleberries.. Any tips on how to get him to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is Cody a large cat?

I adopted Misha from the Humane Society. She was a large cat, they told me I had to wipe her butt for her which she hated. After spending some time with her I realized she was physically incapable of washing her butt because of her size. She just couldn't reach!

Eventually she lost weight and now she cleans her own butt!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is a 5 1/2 lb 4 month old kitten. I know he can reach back there, just seems like he'd rather be playing than washing up!

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I think he'll get more obsessed about being clean as he ages. He's just a little baby. You can't expect a toddler to know how to clean themselves properly when they are learning to use the potty. :wink

·
Registered
679 Posts
He is a 5 1/2 lb 4 month old kitten. I know he can reach back there, just seems like he'd rather be playing than washing up!
Heck at that age he is like a 7 year old human boy. Do you know how many times I had to remind my boys at that age to march back in the bathroom and wash their hands? lol There is a lot going on for a kitten and things to get into ~ they don't have time to groom lolol

What kind of wipes are you using? Some of those wipes have so many chemicals in them they will actually burn the sensitive areas. I am not sure on cat wipes but I am guessing they have more chemicals then baby wipes. When Savannah was born, she would scream bloody murder whenever I used wipes on her. I was buying the cheapy kind and I found out that she was allergic to them and they were burning her. You might want to try some human baby wipes that are for sensitive skin. I know I wouldn't be thrilled with alcohol on my toosh either!

·
Super Moderator
26,353 Posts
Unscented baby wipes are your best (and cheapest) bet. And if you can, snip the hair as short as possible around his bum, or bring him to a groomer for a potty patch. It took the twins a while before they were really good at it. Even Cleo, at over a year old when she adopted me, wasn't great at first.

Gigi is surprisingly the best of any cat who's ever owned me about keeping herself groomed purrfectly back there. And she has the longest and thickest hair of all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I make shampoos and such as a hobby so I'm familiar with ingredients. Unscented baby wipes for sensitive skin work just as well or better than "cat wipes". Same ingredients in the same order. As near as I can tell somebody just decided to relabel an existing product and charged way more than the already inflated price.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your responses everyone! This is the first time we've had kittens and aren't always sure what to expect. Aster is 3 weeks older than Cody and has always been better about grooming than Cody even at the age he is now, so I wasn't sure of what is considered normal...just hoping I wouldnt have to be wiping him for life lol. I miswrote, we are using cat wipes, they claim to be natural, unscented, and hypoallergenic. If I remember correctly they are alcohol free.

I guess I'll remain patient and keep wiping his little tushie and double check the wipes ingredients :) maybe I'll look into the hair trim suggestion as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts