Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in our new house we have two long plant shelves way up high in our living room. We don't have anything up there, and once in a while we put Zero up there. He loves it! he always wants to go higher, and that's about as high as he can go! I'd like to find something that he could climb on to get up there and down himself... any ideas?

·
Registered
757 Posts
What are the shelves close too? Anything he can use to climb or jump up on? If not, you could move something closer for him to use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should probably get one of those 'cat tree' things. They're so freakin expensive around here. I'd like to learn how to build one. Anyone know maybe a website with good directions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I saw a house on a wierd home show that was dedicated to it's cats. They had ramps and stairs everywhere so their cats could get up to the "catwalks" and levels they had built between rooms for them. They had a piece of carpet (like burbur) in a wooden frame that was attached to the wall. They cats climed right up it to the high walkway near the ceiling. Just an idea, seemed to work for those wack-a-doos. Really, if you saw their house, it would have been beyond what you could have even imagined!!! :eek: Have fun with that! Ang

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well he can't really climb because of the 'softpaws' we have over his front nails.

And Pepper - what do you think of the quality of the one at walmart? I did actually see that one. It seems almost perfect to get him up there, but I believe it was made to mount to the celing, and I have vaulted celings, so they're not standard height...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Louse... the quality of the cat tree I have is pretty good. My 2 kittens are always ripping up and down that tree chasing each other, and they sharpen their claws on it all the time too. I've had it for about 6 months, and it's still in great shape, just like the day I bought it.. even after all of it's use.... so it was worth the 30 bucks I spent on it.

It doesn't actually mount to the ceiling... it's got a spring type thing that goes into the top of the tree... once you stand the cat tree up towards the ceiling... the spring thing with the rubber tip comes up and grips the ceiling to hold the tree in place... no screws or nothing go into the ceiling... it's real sturdy too, mine hasn't moved since I put it up.

That pic you have of your kitten on your profile is adorable.... soooo cute!!! Also the ones of Zero in the plastic bag... LOL so cute, my kittens love to do that too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had 2 of the Walmart cat trees. Worked great until my cats got heavier. The screws inside the tubes got stripped because the tree would move a bit everytime they climbed up or down. Finally one day it just fell apart and almost took out my computer when it fell. But then my kitties thought they were monkey's when they were on it. They miss it, but the one I want to buy next is expensive, so they have to wait until I save for it. :cry:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Pepper - only problem for me is that the celing at that point is slanted and prob 10-12 feet i think. That spring thing prob won't reach.

And thanks for the compliments, I'll tell him! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Louse...

Well, I guess the kind of cat tree I have wouldn't do you any good with those type of ceilings.... I guess you're looking for something like a kitty condo that goes real high up so he can get up to the shelf.

You mentioned wanting to build one yourself... I checked Ebay... and they sell cat tree/condo build-it-yourself plans real cheap, starting at like 99 cents. Just type "cat tree plans" in the Ebay search, and check it out... maybe you could build your own for a cheap price. Let me know how it goes.... good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now if I can just remember to check when I'm at home. I usually post here from work and ebay is blocked... hmph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts