Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, I deduced Health and Nutrition would be the best place to post this thread.
Let's get down to business. (Before the Huns Arrive)

My cat is Medium/Long haired. I'm not used to having a cat with so much fur! Well, I live in Las Vegas where the summer is fast approaching, and I'm worried about her fur being too much for her! It gets over 100 degrees Fahrenheit here (around 38 degrees Celsius for my non-USA) and was wondering what would be the best way to groom her for the upcoming heat wave. To some of you this may sound like a silly post considering the fact that it's still snowing in most places but it's reaching 70's (21C) next week. The summer is coming fast! I don't want my poor Pinky to overheat!

Advice please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy electric pet hair clippers and give her a poodle shave! ;) :p

Most longhair cats do okay in the heat if you brush out their loose hair daily (they shed a lot when it warms up, but with long haired animals, lots of the loose hairs can't fall away from the coat).

You don't need to poodle shave her, it was just a joke. :) When I was a kid, my mum shaved her tortoiseshell smoke Persian because her hair was matted and my mum had no time between two jobs and taking care of us kids to brush her, it was hilarious seeing a "poodle cat" strutting around. :p

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Please don't attempt to shave your own cat. It's very hard to see where fuzz ends and skin begins and their skin is very delicate. If you decide you want to shave her, take her to a groomer.

Do you not have air conditioning? I just assumed everyone in warm parts of Nevada had it? If so, she should be just fine. Cats were originally desert animals and were built for the heat (within reason). As long as she's inside with air conditioning and not left out roaming the desert sun she shouldn't have any issues.

That said, you should be brushing her bi weekly anyway to prevent matting and from her ingesting too much hair. Just buy a nice brush that she enjoys and get to work.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
On my MCC I used a coarse comb with rotating tines call a "Untangler" worked great I had a routine before bed where I would groom kitty.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't attempt to shave her myself I'd go to a groomers and I do have AC but the thing barely works, when they run 24/7 they get a little fritzy.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have a Furminator that I occasionally will use on Meeka (got it from Ebay for about 1/4 of the shop prices). She's not all that keen on it though. I also have a slicker brush that gets a lot of hair out which I use every 2-3 days. This summer hasn't been too hot here so we haven't had to worry but the last two summers, we had her groomed at the vet (lion clip) when we noticed that she was getting uncomfortable in the heat. I never liked the idea/look of lion clips but it really did make a difference to her in those hot summers - she'd go from just laying around on the tiles doing nothing to being crazy and playful again as soon as she lost all the fur.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may end up being that way lol. I'm just really worried because I've never had a long haired cat.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
She's our first long hair as well and as I said, we haven't needed to have her groomed this year but it's pretty easy to tell when she's really not comfortable with the heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in south Florida so I know exactly why you would be concerned. My Maddox is a medium/long haired domestic (I think lol) and he's new to our family. It's normally about 80 during the day and my dad insists on keeping the air off during the daytime while him and I are at work. I just make sure that the blinds are closed, as well as any curtains drawn so they keep out the heat as best they can. I brush him at least once a week, sometimes 2-3, just because I know he likes getting brushed. :) As long as there is a cool spot for her to relax in, as well as adequate water supply, she should be just fine. If you're still super concerned, take her to a groomer and get her the poodle/lion mane. :p

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's what I'm most afraid of, I know I get heated up and just want to lie down all day I can't imagine what it's like in a fur coat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts