Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sat I had a bad experience. I was having lunch with my partner and my mom. I helped my mom to the restroom and was waiting for her to come out. When out the window of the restaurant I see what appeared to be a 6 month old kitten running on the highway! It was terrified. It didn’t know where to run. It kept running spastically. Changing directions constantly. As I watched in horror, the cat ran and climbed on the cement divider. The way this highway is laid out, from where I was, on the other side of the divider there is a drop to another highway. Not too high, but if he were to jump on that side, he would have been even more in danger. Less of a chance of him to at least find his way off the highway.

I didn’t know what to do. If I tried to lure him off the divider, there was that chance that he'd jump over to the other side.

I told my partner about it and we happened to have some hard food that we had just picked up for our cats in the car. He took a handful and walked over to the side of the road. He tried to get the cat to come over to him but it didn’t work. He then walked over slowly to him and held out his hand with the food. The cat grabbed a mouth full and jumped over to the other side of the divider! At that point we lost visual on the cat.

I had to tend to my sick mother (who has Alzheimer's and can hardly walk), so we couldn't pursue it any further.

This has been haunting me all weekend. I keep wondering if the cat is ok. Was he smart enough to make it off the highway? Did some other Good Samaritan stop and try to help it? Did we make matters worse? Should we have done more?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I once saw a dog sitting on the side of the road that had obviously been hit by a car. I didn’t know what to do in that case either. Calling police, firefighters, didn't do any good. They said it was not their responsibility. (It’s not like you see on TV where everyone runs to the rescue.)

Are there any suggestions anyone can give so that if I ever come across a similar situation I know what to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to comment.

It's a tough situation when an animal is terrified and running in the street. I have had a couple of successful dog rescues on the road, but it was just luck and perseverance on my part that got the dogs out of the street.

Animals in traffic are terrified, so when someone approaches, that person will become their immediate object of fear and they can bolt into traffic to escape.

One morning, on my way to work, there was a larger than usual traffic jam on the freeway. I inched along as usual, and as I approached what appeared to be the problem, was warmed to find that there was a dog that had just been captured by some good samaritans. Several cars had stopped in the center of the freeway to try and corral the frightened animal. Usually, in the morning commute, people are in too much of a rush for that sort of thing it seems, so I felt really good about humanity that morning, and went to the office with a smile on my face.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts